New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring Length of Pull
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This may seem like a silly question, but I have used Google (be careful if you are at work and google "measuring length of pull," you get some sites about how to measure your little friend).

But, my question still stands. I am ordering a stock for my first semi-custom rifle, and was wondering how to measure my length of pull.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
well, my experience in fitted guns is mostly with shotguns, and in that scenario - the answer largely depends on what action type you're ordering and what school of thought you subscribe to for shooting styles... (they all seem to have their own guidelines for fit.)

As a rule of thumb, in shooting a "game gun" (sxs) the Brits like to see about 2" between your cheekbone (while resting on the stock) and your thumb while gripping the gun).

Again, that's just a starting point for a game gun shooter, and shooting a shotgun. I apply those shotgun dimensions to a DR and usually shorten them a bit b/c that fit feels better with the weight of a rifle.

I assume you're asking for a bolt gun you're ordering...? If so, my advice is to take the dimensions from a gun (which you already own) and that "feels good" to you.

But you must consider whether or not you'll be setting the new gun up for open sights or scope, or both... your length of pull will affect your eye relief from the scope. Don't forget that you've got drop and cast to consider also...

If all your guns feel short, then you can tape wood (or other suitable substance) to the existing butt and built it up until you get it "feeling right" to you.

The best course of action is to probably meet with the person building your gun and experiment with them and some of the guns they have built - or guns they have to "try on" in similar configurations as what you want.

If all that fails... go longer than you think, once you get the gun, it's a lot easier to cut wood off than it is to add it back on.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I should have been more clear, but this is for a bolt action rifle. I will pull out some rifles today and figure out what I like.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I thought the generally accepted method was to bend your trigger finger arm and measure from inside angle of your elbow to your last joint on your trigger finger. This length becomes the length of pull. Did I get this wrong?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, with your method, I get 14.5" (6'2", arms like a monkey). Does that sound in the range of what is normal?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It sounds right on to me. I personally like my length of pull a tad shorter than my measured length because I can snug up better with a 14", especially when wearing heavy clothing. But in a heavy recoiler 14.5" is right for me. I'm 6'1".

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I thought the generally accepted method was to bend your trigger finger arm and measure from inside angle of your elbow to your last joint on your trigger finger. This length becomes the length of pull. Did I get this wrong?

It's not your fault, go into any gunstore and that's what they'll tell you.

But PLEASE... let's all kill this 40-year old folklore.

That only works if you plan on firing your gun with the butt in the bend of your elbow. thumbdown

There are many other variables, muscle bulk, face build, neck length etc...

Is it close in some shooters, maybe... but it's not an accurate way to determine LOP.

PM Chic, he could more accurately answer your question.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
On any custom rifle, I start witht the longest LOP available, usually 14.5 inches. When the rifle is complete, I slip a removeable pad on the bare end and start shooting it from various positions (scope or irons in place). Then I decide how much wood to take off and what size pad or plate it should have.

Remember, you can always remove wood, you can't put it back. I have seen some high quality rifles ruined because the stock was cut too short. LOP should be decided on the range, with all of the other variables in place.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nate,

Just my take, your probably pretty close, if not your closer to 14 1/2 than you are 13 1/2.

I'm 6.2 and I have a pretty good wing span myself, mine is about 14 3/4 or at least thats what I think it is, if not its close enough for me. I think if it feels good when you shoulder it and it hit what your aiming at is the most important thing.

I like em to be a little long on the hard kickers

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm 6'1" and have practically no neck as a result I shoot a 13 1/2" stock and then have trouble getting up on a scope. It's hard to get them far enough to the rear with regular rings on the long actions.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a scoped rifle, shoulder a gun and have someone beside you measure the distance between your off hand thumb (the one that is over the wrist of the rifle) and your nose. It should be 1 1/2" to 2". That will put you in a reasonable eye relief for a scope.

The old rule of the inside of your elbow to the trigger finger was a crude and imprecise method and is of no value. For shotguns, the common english method was to have two or three finger widths again as in a rifle from the off hand thumb to your nose. You are better off with a shotgun to go with the longest pull that you can mount and swing with ease.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
The old rule of the inside of your elbow to the trigger finger was a crude and imprecise method and is of no value.

Thanks Chic!!! thumb

Let's kill this non-sense before it spreads to another generation gunsmile

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a rifle that fits you and you like it then measure the distance from the trigger to the center of recoil pad or butt and that should get you where you need to be as to your length of pull. A big bore should be a tad longer than say a 270..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote