New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 7600 pump gun questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking about picking up a Rem. 7600 carbine for deer hunting in New Hampshire & Maine.

I have heard that these rifles can have "bad" triggers and or safety mechanisms which make
them potentially dangerous. Not sure how accurate that info is so.....can anyone elaborate?

Correct me if I am wrong but, Timney used to make a replacement for the 760....? Is there a
replacement available for the 7600?

Thanks for your help,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not true to my knowledge about the pumps and autos, just the older 700s. Not much you can do about the triggers unless maybe someone who re-works 870 shotgun triggers. I like mine the way it is.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The Remington pump is a fine woods gun, extremely strong action, and some I've seen are extremely accurate...suitable for varmints actually. I've never head a bad thing about the safetys being unreliable in them but the triggers are mostly not adjustable with out special grinding/honing etc. Best to accept it as it is. I've never heard of an aftermarket trigger for them. As a hunting rifle they are fine however. It's varminting that I'd like a better trigger...the guns can shoot like bolt action rifles.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of anything dangerous with them...the triggers are a bit mushy, but one can adjust to a bad trigger if he has too...They are damn accurate off the bench. All the ones I have worked with shot like a house afire and the CIA at one time adopted them for whatever the CIA uses such guns for, and chose them based on accuracy.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
My Dad had one of these in 270. It wasn't picky to load for, had very good trigger, and had no saftey issues regarding the saftey/trigger group. It was capable of very good accuracy, which is why I said it had a very good trigger. Good handling characteristics also. As is true of all firearms, learning profiency in cleaning and maintenance is time well spent.

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One item to look out for: you can actually over-lube the locking lugs to the point that the bolt will partially open on firing. Do not use any high pressure lubes like moly grease.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 Whelen that shoots very well. It's also got a great trigger. A good trigger man can fix the mushy trigger in a few minutes to get a 4 lb. clean release.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .35 Whelen used to have a hard trigger. But a little polishing and removing about one loop of the spring makes it tolerable. I have been looking for an after market trigger too but have not found one out there. Maybe if we all wrote Timney they would do something. Timney will do a trigger job for you though.

Next month they are supposed to start selling 788 triggers and I an on the waiting list for that.

Posts: 361 | Location: Valdez, AK (aka Heaven) | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Brownell's used to sell a trigger group for the 870. I don't know if they still sell it and if it fits the 7600. They sure look similar from the outside. Later Packy

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate Have you seen the action open on firing with the 7600 overlubed at the locking lugs? Packrattusnongratus

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I shoot my 35 Whelen 7600 from prone if I don't keep strong pressure against the foreend (almost a push pull) the action will partially open on firing. I have seen the same thing with pump shotguns when fired off the bench with no support against the pump, they partial open. Is this normal for the 7600 or do I need mine checked out?
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My 7600 is like the rest described here, shoots like a house afire, but the trigger was mushy. I sent it off to Alan Timney, and he sent it back in much better shape, plus a bunch of extra springs to use to change the trigger pull.

My biggest problem is that the damn thing rusts the moment you take it out of the safe. The rolled engraving especially. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 760 what would open upon firing, and also had misfires (light pin strikes). I found that the piece that keeps the action closed (action stop I think) was peened and too short. When it fired, that bar would move out of the way sometimes, resulting in the action partially opening. A way to check is to remove the clip, close the action and looking through the clip hole, pull back on the foregrip without releasing the slide (the action should stay closed). Look for any rotation of the slide. If it rotates, the action stop is suspect.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharps
There is nothing wrong with the gun. All of my 7600�s open slightly or even will eject the empty if I do not hold the fore stock. My 35 whelen would be an auto if I had a return spring on it. The reason for this is that the lock is released when you pull the trigger. I was concerned about this when I first got a 7600 but several different gunsmiths (Including some of the best from this form) assured me that the gun is vary safe. I have a friend that can shoot an 870 faster than most people can shoot an auto because of this same feature. And he is more accurate than most people with it also.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise, I didn't think there was a problem with the rifle but it never hurts to ask. When we teach tactical shotgun classes with pumps we teach the push pull with the foreward hand pushing because if you pull the foreend back on an 870 while firing you can actually lock the action up. A good shooter with a pump can hold their own with an auto in aimed fire, especially with multiple targets since you can use the motion of working the pump in target transition.
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote