Notify
Tools

Help with 257 AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
Rifle is a PF Winchester Feather Weight

Issue is the magazine follower, because it is a long action, the follower does not always float level, it does have a spacer but that doesn't seem to help

It is not a show stopper, but is irritating

Any easy fix to this?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Is the spring properly placed in the floorplate?
My Mod 70 SG didn't have the spring fully seated in the notch so it wouldn't slide and caused some feeding issues. Not sure if this has been looked at or not but it's a cheap & easy problem. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nate, yes I push it forward but becasue it is a SA spring on a LA floorplate, it tends to slide back

Is there a way to pin it in place that is not perminate? Still want to remove it during cleanings.

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use some JB weld on it to keep it from sliding to far forward. Any epoxy will work.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
JB sounds pretty perminate

Maybe what I need is a replacement spring but can't find one on Brownells or Midway

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JB sounds pretty perminate permanent

Maybe what I need is a replacement spring but can't find one on Brownells or Midway

Jim

Call the Winchester parts department. They are in Missouri, an hour south of St. Louis. They will get you set up in no time.

Just an errant thought, but with my old 257 Roberts AI 40 degrees, When I was shooting 115-grain to 120-grain bullets, I would seat them out, and just pretend they were long action cartridges.

If you like the semi-short action concept more, just buy an extra box, S/A spring, block and appropriate follower (even an extra floor plate if you wish). Set one collection of parts up just as you need, and go terrorize the game fields. You will have the original parts if you ever need/want to go back to the way you bought it.

BTW, you have a very well balanced cartridge/rifle combination there. If you can get it shooting 115 grain partitions, you are set for everything up to Caribou. With a 120-grain Partition, you can kill elk if you avoid trying to go through a shoulder bone.

Good work; enjoy.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote