New
Find
Notify
Tools

6MM-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a set of .22-250 dies be reamed out for this round????? I know you would have to replace the expander button with a 6MM button and put in a 6MM bullet seater in.Seems like this would be a whole lot cheaper than buying dies for $165.00 Thanks ahead OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes you can, but dies are surface hardened, so when you would ream it out you will loose the hardened surface

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curiousity got me...why 6-250? Minimum diameter mandates for Game?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busheler:

The 6mm-250 or 6mm International is an older benchrest round. Ballistics are virtually the same as the .243 Win. Maybe he has an older target rifle chambered in it.

OLBIKER,

I think by the time you pay for machining and re-hardening you'd be near the cost of the dies(unless you are doing it yourself or getting the work done gratis).

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:

The 6mm-250 or 6mm International is an older benchrest round. Ballistics are virtually the same as the .243 Win. Maybe he has an older target rifle chambered in it.

OLBIKER,

I think by the time you pay for machining and re-hardening you'd be near the cost of the dies(unless you are doing it yourself or getting the work done gratis).

The International pales to the 243Win...unless you are talking fast twist COAL constraints and upper echelon BC wiggle room in tight mag confines.

Assuming 2.8",the 243 wipes the mat nastily.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
quote:

OLBIKER,

The International pales to the 243Win...unless you are talking fast twist COAL constraints and upper echelon BC wiggle room in tight mag confines.

Assuming 2.8",the 243 wipes the mat nastily.

My resource shows the "Walker"(1-12) version vs .243(1-10) a dead heat on velocity per bullet weight(2.2" vs 2.7" respectively), but it also states there are at least 3 versions that bear the name. One is significantly shorter and would have inferior performance.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I had a 6mm250 once. The big advantage is it is a very 'civilized' round compared to the .243W.

I could never get anywhere near .243 velocities but that was never the goal. It is very accurate without the muzzle blast, lift and noise of the larger 6mm's.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending upon the particular hull used,the case capacity is up to 10grs in the 243's favor.

I know...I know...you've "Mystical Sources" that'll recant the Physics involved.

Keep guessin',it's funny!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Depending upon the particular hull used,the case capacity is up to 10grs in the 243's favor.

I know...I know...you've "Mystical Sources" that'll recant the Physics involved.

Keep guessin',it's funny!

No not really, its "Cartridges of The World". Go dig up Frank Barnes and bitch at him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm citing facts found in the firsthand...while you are busy reading.

COULD it get ANY better?!!?

Nope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm citing facts found in the firsthand...while you are busy reading.

COULD it get ANY better?!!?

Nope.

Well damn, I'm glad to know there is a fountain of knowledge that will save me book time. I'm gonna have a weenie roast over my shooting reference books tomorrow. Then I'm gonna fire off an e-mail to the publishers and flame them for printing shit like that. To think for years I've been led to believe peer reviewed, edited ballistic data was accurate and now I find out all I had to do was look at case capacity- period. Interior ballistics, max loads, efficiency and operating pressure is irrelevant. That's probably some crap they made up anyway to get money from a gun rag magazine. I'll just PM you whenever I need some ballistic data. Oh, if I reference your esteemed work, how shall I footnote it?

Happy trolling!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're learnin'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never saw much difference in velocities between the 6mm-250 and the 243. Both will push 107's to just over 3000 fps from 26" barrels but use different powders to do so. The 6/250 is a little nicer to work with IMO.
There has been a bit of a resurgence lately in interest in the 6mm/250. It will achieve the velocities guys want from the 6BR at a little lower pressures. In addition, it feeds well which the BR does not. Barrel life is a bit better than the 243 but not as good as the BR. I don't think the accuracy potential is quite up to the 6BR either.
All in all, it's not a bad cartridge but I figure it's not as good for varmints as a 22-250 and not as good for big game as a 250-3000. I think it's a better target cartridge than a 243 but not as good as a 6 BR. I must have thought more of it when I ordered the reamer in 1978 because I don't think I'd buy one now! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The International's best niche is in an XP-100.

Feeding a BR is hardly Rocket Science,Mike Bryant has long had it licked and then there's a myriad of DBM options for those daunted by same.

I like my 105's at 3300fps+,in modest lengthed 243AI's and have no 107 love.

The 22-250AI in a fast twist is my favorite use of the '250 hull.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Busheler, Good Busheler! (scratch behind the ear)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow me around,take notes and you'll learn somethin'.

Nawwwww...you haven't the faculties.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know feeding a BR is not rocket science but the 250 case feeds better. This is firsthand knowledge too.
That 3300+ from a 243 (the AI accomplishes essentially dick in comparison to the standard case)is impressive indeed. What barrel length do you do that with? We were unable to do that with even the 6mm AI in a 28 if we wanted reasonable case life. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re-22/moly 105's in a 23". Lotsa guys push them harder,typically in the Tactical Crowd,though they've 115SMK love too(I don't).

My 25" 1-10" Shilen 6mmRemAI does a smidge better velocity wise,but I hate everything 7x57 in a s/a...even when fed ala DBM and afforded a bit more COAL latitude.

I've zero qualm feeding any of my 223AI's,either of the CHeetah MK1's,22-250AI's,243AI's,7-08AI or 284Win based spawn. I largely abhor superfluous case taper and am a fan of jaunty shoulders..

The 243AI simply dupes 6mm Rem case capacity in a much shorter hull,which of course facilitates increased COAL latitudes as BC's are increased. Even Nosler #5 grants 3261fps ala '22 in a 24" 6mm with 100's.

The 105 A-Max's modest bearing surface allows it to scoot nicely,at less than white knuckle pressures.

I'd much rather gun a 223AI,than a SAAMI 22-250.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I fired one at the range last week.Puppy was scary accurate and it just intrigued me.The Rifle had a 20" Bull Barrel and was duplicating 243 velocities on a Pact Professional.Decided to Put a Shilen Barrell on my Mo.12. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
243 shoulder angle promotes early throat erosion, and I've had numerous pressure excursions with the cartridge. I don't/won't use it any more, at all; there are several MUCH better designs readily available, with sharper shoulder angles that don't wear the throat prematurely.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"The 105 A-Max's modest bearing surface allows it to scoot nicely, at less than white knuckle pressures"
Translating this into English, I take it to mean the A-Max has a comparatively short bearing surface which allows higher velocities at lower pressures. What absolute drivel!
The bearing surface of the A-Max bullets is actually relatively long when compared to the 107 Sierra, for instance (roughly, .525 vs. .480). If the 105 is achieving higher velocities with the same load, it is more likely because the bullet is closer to the lands or hard into the lands at the same seating depth or, perhaps, it is because the longer bearing surface boosts initial pressures. It isn't because the "modest bearing surface allows it to scoot nicely".
I've often heard that modest shoulder angles, in conjunction with a short neck, lead to accelerated throat wear. When I was starting out, on of my early mentors explained to me, if a line extended at the angle of the shoulder extended past the mouth of the case, throat erosion would be accelerated. As to whether or not this is the case, I can't honestly say. I have never seen any hard data which would confirm or refute the hypothesis so it may well be so. If it is, this would be the major benefit of the 243 AI over the standard 243. The benefit is certainly not increased case capacity since that is little changed.
Personally, I like cartridges with somewhat longer necks. I like to be able to seat bullets ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture. A longer neck allows me to do this when using bullets with a long bearing surface while allowing me to seat others out a bit and still be in the neck. I can't honestly say there is any real benefit to this; it's just my preference. Regards, Bill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK now that the troll is gone, i have a 6mm/250AI. it uses less powder than a 243 for the same velocity. the case is very close to the one david tubbs uses. fearful looking thing with a VLD bullet in it. it truth i'm not sure its worth the effort and cost over a 243, but WTH its fun

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
"The 105 A-Max's modest bearing surface allows it to scoot nicely, at less than white knuckle pressures"
Translating this into English, I take it to mean the A-Max has a comparatively short bearing surface which allows higher velocities at lower pressures. What absolute drivel!
The bearing surface of the A-Max bullets is actually relatively long when compared to the 107 Sierra, for instance (roughly, .525 vs. .480). If the 105 is achieving higher velocities with the same load, it is more likely because the bullet is closer to the lands or hard into the lands at the same seating depth or, perhaps, it is because the longer bearing surface boosts initial pressures. It isn't because the "modest bearing surface allows it to scoot nicely".
I've often heard that modest shoulder angles, in conjunction with a short neck, lead to accelerated throat wear. When I was starting out, on of my early mentors explained to me, if a line extended at the angle of the shoulder extended past the mouth of the case, throat erosion would be accelerated. As to whether or not this is the case, I can't honestly say. I have never seen any hard data which would confirm or refute the hypothesis so it may well be so. If it is, this would be the major benefit of the 243 AI over the standard 243. The benefit is certainly not increased case capacity since that is little changed.
Personally, I like cartridges with somewhat longer necks. I like to be able to seat bullets ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture. A longer neck allows me to do this when using bullets with a long bearing surface while allowing me to seat others out a bit and still be in the neck. I can't honestly say there is any real benefit to this; it's just my preference. Regards, Bill.

Bill,

The only time I'm not kissing,is if it's a Weatherby round or a SAAMI chamber,throated longer than it's box ala 700's in 308. The 233AI easily outpaces the SAAMI 243 and runs with the 6mmRem at like pressure,as they are of like capacity. Thus the aforementioned COAL/magbox latitudes with increased BC's,nicely frosting the cake.

Don't shoot much,do you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
OK now that the troll is gone, i have a 6mm/250AI. it uses less powder than a 243 for the same velocity. the case is very close to the one david tubbs uses. fearful looking thing with a VLD bullet in it. it truth i'm not sure its worth the effort and cost over a 243, but WTH its fun

Ridding the '250's taper,does help it approximate SAAMI 243 capacity/performance. Not quite,but a step in the right direction.

The 243 is an over the counter Giant Killer in all regards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[The only time I'm not kissing,is if it's a Weatherby round or a SAAMI chamber,throated longer than it's box ala 700's in 308. The 233AI easily outpaces the SAAMI 243 and runs with the 6mmRem at like pressure,as they are of like capacity. Thus the aforementioned COAL/magbox latitudes with increased BC's,nicely frosting the cake.

Don't shoot much,do you.[/QUOTE]
The difference in case capacity between the SAAMI 243 and the AI is miniscule. There is probably more difference between different brands of brass in the same caliber.
Proponents of AI cartridges, and please understand, I have nothing against the cartridges or the proponents, like to compare capacities of unsized, fireformed AI brass to new, unfired parent brass to maximize the "improvement". Such comparisons are meaningless at best. In truth, the 243 AI might see a three or four percent capacity increase at best.
No, I don't shoot much. Too far to the range. Regards, Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The std 243 may be a giant killer but it's also a throat killer. The AI version is much better, NOT because of any increased capacity but rather because of the sharper shoulder angle that preserves the throat. AIs are IMO generally such a PITA that they're not worth it, but in the case of the 243 it's A Good Idea.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote