Find
Notify
Tools

seedling English
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
Is there a difference in the wood when English Walnut is grown from a seedling instead of grafted to Black Walnut roots?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
In my experience the seedling has more pink & gray on the average. Fiddleback is common and usually tight. The grafted has more honey and dark almost black stripes. every piece of seedling I've worked on has been very good/stable consistent wood. The reason the trees were grafted was to promote faster growing to produce the nuts. They had no interest in gunstocks. It does produce the great contrasting colors though. Between the two, I'd rather work on seedling.

seedling pic

grafted pic

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Does a seedling blank usually bring more than the grafted?

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
It Depends Wink

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Soverns:
It Depends Wink

On....?

spinksranch.com

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
layout, color, etc. Personaly I would not pay more for a seedling blank "just because"

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
Thank you.

Does a seedling blank usually bring more than the grafted?

Usually the more the really dark/contrasting lines the more the blank will bring. There is some seedling with these dark stripes. I'd have to guess that the California grafted is the only place around the world that grafts to claro root stock. I could be wrong. I think all the rest of the Regia walnut grown around the world could be seedling. Turkish-French-etc???? more pinks in the over the pond variety.

Not sure if I answered your question yet???

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Not sure if I answered your question yet???

Pretty well. I am just an info junkie when it comes to blanks.

I ran across some seedling english for sale and wanted the scoop from someone other than the guy selling it. Big Grin I have been interested in walnut blanks for awhile now and just came upon something I didn't know much about.

spinksranch.com