New
Find
Notify
Tools

project suggestions...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, lets say you had a springfield 03 sporter that had some nice wood, nice blue, rem style safety with a sweet after market trigger wearing a 26 inch bull barrel chambered in 25-06 that shot lights out...and 2 other 25-06's in the safe you would pick 1st to take hunting with, making this big ole heavy gun essentially a bench rifle. If you were gonna keep it, what would you do with it???

What I am thinking is that since I already have the other 2 25-06's in the safe, one being a 26 inch barrel #1B, that I might just bore this springfield out to 35 whelen and chop the barrel down to 22 inches-BUT one of the things I love about this board is tossing things like this out to see what others might do...you folks have probably been through and done stuff like this and did things I never even dream of-so hit me with what you got!

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that.
Boring out a barrel that shoots well is a shame. If it shoots just ok, no big deal, but great and thats a sin, almost.

Pull the barrel and convert it to a 35 whelan OR a 9.3x62.

Keep the barrel or sell it, with some test targets to show its accuracy.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one of the things I am concerned about it if I pull the barrel, or bore it out, I will still have a heavy bull barrel-and I don't sit still for long when I hunt so most of my hunting rifles are light weight...

That and I don't plan on doing anything to it for some time...maybe when I shoot the barrel out!! Really just kind of thinking out loud and lookig towards the future here...

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
Dave, What taper is that barrel????
How about a 458 win?

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
how do you measure taper?

458 win?? Never even crossed my mind! That might be fun to shoot, at least once...

Dave

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
458 AR. It will beat out the Lott by a tad. Action lenght stays the same.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote