Polishing the inside of your action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I think the Brownell's tool is a piece of crap. I would give somebody a decent price.
Butch

yeah well you dress funny.

hilbily

Have you used one? I thought not.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Guy your work looks good however I personally don't like polishing out tool marks inside the rear bridge as there is not a lot of bearing surface there for the bolt. Also if you polish the bolt as well a few thou here and there really adds up.
The most I would do is a light polish with 600 grit. Being case hardened the parts are pretty slippery anyway.
Not putting shit on your post just passing on what I have learnt the hard way. The main thing that puts people off Mausers is sloppy bolts.
Cheers.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I think the average gun nut would flip if he knew how crooked bolts, receivers and barrels are.

And some well heeled gun nuts pay ungodly sums to have them re-machined as precisely as possible, with no guarantee of any measurable performance increase.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I think the average gun nut would flip if he knew how crooked bolts, receivers and barrels are.

And some well heeled gun nuts pay ungodly sums to have them re-machined as precisely as possible, with no guarantee of any measurable performance increase.

I must be a sucker...

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found these folks. You can buy them one at a time, the service is good and the shipping is reasonable.

http://www.moldshoptools.com

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I probably read this post in 2009. Bought some stones from Mcmaster-carr.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote