New
Find
Notify
Tools

7MM SAUM on SA BDL
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a .223 Remington VLS that I'm thinking of using to build a 7MM SAUM. I'll open the bolt face and change to a Sako extractor and change the magazine box and follower. Any reason that won't work?

Posts: 43 | Location: New England | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll have to alter the feed rails so it will feed the SAUM correctly too. Otherwise you should be go to go. I think I would do the 7WSM and lengthen the magazine box if it was me though. Ruger has picked up the WSM line along with Winchester and Browning so I would bet the SAUM line will become nonexistant before long. Not to mention Winchester brass is generally better if you reload.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has the magazine boxes for SA remingtons for 7 SAUM and WSM. Be a little easier then making one. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
JMo

I know part of the fun is taking what you have and building what you want. In this case I believe you would be money way ahead by selling your .223 and buying a 700 ADL in 270 WSM. This would also depend on weather or not you were going to keep the factory stock you have now. If you were looking to restock the converted rifle any way I'm sure it would be less expensive. Say four hundred for a barrel and what ever for the stock. This is also assuming that you can get within $50 to $100 for your.233 of a new 700 in 270 WSM. Just think you have now got my 2 cents for free.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't get any takers on the VLS for a reasonable price so screw it, I'll just use the action and sell the stock if I can. It's not really about the money. I'm just not going to give away an almost brand rifle. As for the caliber, the 7MM SAUM is just the latest one that catches my fancy With a McMillan stock and blueprinted action barreled by Pac-Nor I'll have a lot more rifle than I can buy from any factory. That's just the way I think. Not recommended for everyone.

Posts: 43 | Location: New England | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote