THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Model 70 - completely bed receiver recoil lug, or just the back...?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 - completely bed receiver recoil lug, or just the back...?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted
I thought I had an article from Gale McMillan somewhere around here about bedding techniques for Model 70's..but can't find it.

Should the receiver recoil lug be bedded tight, or have clearance on sides and front as generallly recommended on Remington 700's?

Model 70 Featherweight in question, already have rear tang and rear of recoil lug and bedding pad poured and set up. Getting ready to pour a pad under the chamber and first 2" of barrel, and fill a couple of gaps in the first pour.

Thanks!

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fireball168,

As far as I know the only portion of any recoil lug that needs to be in contact with the stock and/or the bedding material is the back.

Masking off the front, bottom and sides to allow for a slight clearance makes it far easier to remove the barreled action from the stock.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I completely bedded my 300weath.mkV in devcon from about 1"of barrel all the way to the tang into a Brown precision stock. It was a snug fit(obvoiusly) that took very slight manipulation to get apart.But it was no real problem, just took alittle patience. how often does a person pull apart a rig anyway?

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I \would suggest that you only bed the back of the recoil lug, and the area under the tang. And if you don't have one of the one piece trigger guard/floor plates I would be careful when snugging down the action screws to not put a lot of torque on the center screw that is in front of the trigger guard. This approach has worked fine for me for 40 years, but your mileage will vary.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
I completely bedded my 300weath.mkV in devcon from about 1"of barrel all the way to the tang into a Brown precision stock. It was a snug fit(obvoiusly) that took very slight manipulation to get apart.But it was no real problem, just took alittle patience. how often does a person pull apart a rig anyway?

Woodjack,

I guess that depends on the individual person. I pull my barreled actions from the stock fairly often for a good cleaning, and to make sure nothing has gotten down between the barrel and the stock.

I have never found it to be a big deal to add a layer of 10 mil PVC pipe wrap tape to the front, sides and bottom of the lug when bedding that area. That gives you a slight gap between those areas of the lug and the bedding and allows for easy removal if the need arises.

It’s also much easier to shave off and/or gouge the bedding material when reinstalling the barreled action if there is a skin tight fit on the recoil lug.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote