New
Find
Notify
Tools

A NEW CARTRIDGE DESIGN-- DELETED
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After much consideration, I deleted this post in an effort to avoid offending the delicate sensibilities of the self styled arbiters of Internet etiquette who are lurking about the forum.

Many thanks to those of you who chose respond with your valuable suggestions instead of being so form conscious.

Good Shooting, HBB

[ 01-10-2003, 06:17: Message edited by: hillbillybear ]

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would call it the "Impossible".

Rome was not built in a day and there is no 6mm rifle close to 4000 fps today with such a bullet.

Perhaps a smoothbore might come close shooting a tiny arrow. Or a sabot in a .338 Ultra.

We need a new propellant. That has been the problem since 1950 and there is nothing really new since then.

Work on sabots. Not enough has been done there.

Also work on keeping topics to one post. This same topic is in both reloading and gunsmithing.

[ 01-09-2003, 20:30: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
HBB,

You might also want to check out the .22 Cheetah.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a duplicate post that has spread to at least two other places.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
HBB,

I did some load development work for a guy who owned a .22-.243 Middlestedt on a long-barreled Ruger #1. It did zoom with the lighter bullets, although I did loads with bullets up to 70 grains.

Before you spend a lot of bucks, I recommend you get a copy of the A-Square reloading manual and read the stuff therein about such cartridges as the .416 Gerlach. It is definitely not a 6mm, but the knowledge should transfer.

If the cartridge is to be named "6mm Saeed", would it not have to be based on the .404 case? [Wink]

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter Jim,
You are very correct about the .404. I think the .404 was the inspiration for the Ultramags. I sure hope so that way I can claim kin with it, be true to Saeed and save a bunch of neck down work [Big Grin]

Thanks for the input,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Hillbillybear--

In 1968 a friend of mine and I built a 240 Belted Gibbs (6mm/300H&H VERY "improved") to do about what you want to do.

It was a 700 Rem action, 28 inch Atkinson barrel and laminated stock. It was supposed to be a shared target rifle for school matches......we were both gunsmithing students at the time. We wanted a gun both of us could shoot and finally settle who was the best shot.....we had already determined my 25-06 was better than his 7 mag. [Smile]

There was no such thing as a privately owned Cronograph but you could send sample rounds with the gun to HP White to test 5 rounds for $22 plus return postage.

We experimented with surplus 5010, 4831, and WCC 870 and bullets from 85 gr Sierra BTs to Speer 120s.

We finally figured out where the primers blew in all bullet weights and powders and decided to have five seperate loads tested for velocity instead of an average of five.

I don't remember the loads well enough to publish them, but do remember the velocities.

The most accurate load was also a HOT one with a bunch (either 101 or 102gr) of 4831 and an 85gr Sierra HPBT.....it clocked 3980.......the rest were slower and not as accurate.

The gun fouled in 5 shots and galled the lugs several times and wound up eating a ring in the bolt face.....We fixed it and got school credit for the work.

After about 500 rounds it was dropping off in accuracy and Will, my partner, needed a chambering project so we cut the whole chamber off and made it a 6mm Rem. I bushed the face and made an extractor for it.

We beat some serious shooters at 600 and a 1000 yards with a case about full of 4831 and a hundred grain Sierra SPBT.

The hole in the bore is too small for the powders we have available. It's easier to get 4k from a smaller case, but still dangerous.

A full ninety percent of all rifle problems are related to the quest for velocity. It ain't worth it.

BTW-- The chambering and resizer die reamers were bought from Fred Barnes. Both were half reamers made by Ackley. Sure wish I had 'em back. [Smile]

[ 01-10-2003, 03:58: Message edited by: JBelk ]