New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: action junky?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Y'all just think you have a problem!!!! I dug around a little and came up with the following actions 5 M1903 Springfields
6 M1917 and P14 Enfields
1 M98 Siamese
9 M98 regular actions
7 M98 Mexican mausers
1 M1903 Mann-Schoenaur
1 M52 Winchester
1 Stevens M44
1 Ballard
3 Winchester Lo-walls
1 Savage M1920
There's probably a few more I missed.

So many actions, so little time!!!

Merry Christmas to all of you. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc

Spend your money on the action, not therapy. You will be better off in the long run. They are not making any more of the G33/40's. When they are gone that it's. Think of it as an investment.

But you got me thinking. I did not know the number of receiver/actions that I did have to build on. After taking roll call, I found the following in actions or donor rifles.
Mauser 98 Standard & Magnum length, 17
Mauser SR 98- 1910, 9
Mauser SR 98- 1936, 2
Mauser 98 Int. Mexican Mod 24, 2
Mauser 93,2
Mauser 95 Chilean,1
Mauser 96 Swedish,3
Jap. Arisaka 99, 1
Rem. 700, 1
Springfield 03, 2
Montana 1999, 4
This is a total of 44 and the sad thing this is just center-
fire bolt actions. Boy do I need to get to work.
I may be the one that needs therapy but,
Does anyone have a Siamese action or donor rifle for sale?

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there any one else out there with an action monkey on their back? I was digging through the safe this week and got to counting Mexican Mauser actions. I had 7 1910's and 1 1936. Then I started looking at the LR 98's then the action donor rifles I have laying around (rifles bought just for the action) and I realized I have right at 20 actions just sitting around. And I was going to buy another action this morning. I came to the realization that I need some therapy or something and did not purchase the action. I have stock blanks sititng around fo ryears, but I have always justified that by saying that they are aging. More years won't help a G 33/40 any, so that excuse won't work.

Any one else out there with this problem?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any. After all the discussions here on what bolt action is the best there still is no consensus. I just buy factory rifles complete and tune them myself.

I get the most enjoyment out of that. It's always been easy to get a good shooting rifle off the rack, at least since I started in the early 50's.

As of late I like the Kimber 8400's and of the old ones another Brno 21h the last one here. I have enough pre 64 M70's. Can't say I want not but I am satisfied.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Pre-War M-70 that I'm thinking needs to be a 257 Bob in a nice stick of wood I have. I just can't find it at the moment. Don't know if it's at my house or somewhere at my buddies........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not quite as bad as you but similar disease, funny I have a mexican I am considering offing cause I haven't done anything with it in ten years.

I find it helps if you buy your actions as complete guns and don't pull them apart until your ready to work on them. That way you can always go out and shoot them once in a while, and while I have that rule it only lasts till the next cherry old mauser action shows up and I have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head about what I could do with it.

I also look back and regret not buying a couple, one original commercial Oberdorf, that the guy wanted $500.00 for and I remember thinking it was spendy and passed. Oh yes it was a magnum, what a mistake that was.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I realized I have right at 20 actions just sitting around."

And I thought *I* had a problem...

I've got two M700 actions (one standard long & one magnum long) and two Montana standard shorts in the safe. A few more rifles that I also bought for the actions are just sitting there waiting to be stripped.

Every now & then I decide to thin out a bit. But it always seems that as soon as I do, I just use the money raised to buy more, for that "future project"....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one of my last 3 up on GunBroker right now (shameless plug ). I need to quit collecting and spend more time shooting. Seems like every rifle project takes 2-3 years to complete.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I know the feeling although not quit as bad.I have an oberndorf action with drop box for a 404.A real nice 09 action.A standard modell action.A pre 64 m-70 action.I probably have more I cant remember.The bad thing is if I find a good deal I'll buy more.

Posts: 906 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your a sick person, seek help.
JL (always helpful.)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are a Actionoholic!

God grant you the serinity to accept the things you cannot change, courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

You are powerless over actions.

Make a decision to send me your actions and restore your sanity.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish that I could be an action junkie, alas I don't have the money for it. I sold off the extra stuff that I had. I now only have a great 03' springfield and a pristine gorgeous partially ready 09' argentine begging me to do something spectacular with it. I have other things that I thought would be donors but in retrospect have been too much better for something else. :-)

I hear rumors sometimes though of caches of actions and am hoping to run across one at the right time when I am flush and there is a big sale, I wouldn't mind sitting on a pile of a couple hundred varied actions suitable for custom rifles so that if I ever get good at playing with these things (and have the machines to do it) I could keep myself busy.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill and Bennett:

I'll buy ya'll a round if we ever meet. I posted this hoping to have every one jump in and say I only had a quarter of what they had. This would have made me feel much better about myself. I have really been evaluating things th epast day. Ya'll at least make me feel like I am not alone. I did make a vow to not buy any more actions unless they fit a very narrow set o fcriteria now. Of course, I have said that before. About 5 actions ago-only one of which met the criteria!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Its a sickness. Ive got 2 incomplete project rifles on the workbench, one I havent even started on, and what am I doing about it? Why shopping for the next one of corse...

Methinks there may be some worthwhile wisdom in Savage 99's words. But todays factory rifles leave me cold, maybe the thing to do is start buying up other peoples custom built rifles and taking them hunting.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice stash...

Nice drawers too solid wood ,no particle board...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Chic,
Is that cany of poly in your pic what you plan on using on my stock?

I cant call myself an action junkie, but I definately fit into the "uncompleted gun project" junkie slot.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Come on M1 use spell check!

Cut me some slack. I am stuck at the in-laws and it was way past my bedtime.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Come on M1 use spell check!

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I remember when BIG-5 was selling vz-24 for anyhwere around 69.99 to 79.99. I would troop down there like a good troop and buy a couple it was even better when they would sell the turkish mausers for 59.99. I ended up with 5 or 6 maybe it was 7. Anyhow I traded them all off except for one, wish I would of kept them now. Like M1 said, I don't have many actions but I have 6 projects at my gunsmith house in Oregon in various stages soon to be 7. I'm hoping fingers crossed my 35 whelen AI and 358 Norma Mag will be done before elk season next year.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Chic,
Is that cany of poly in your pic what you plan on using on my stock?

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote