THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone built an Ackley 270/308 improved?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was hoping someone has some experience with this cartridge - 270-308 ackley improved. Ackley mentions it to be very efficient, curious to know if the velocities meet or exceed those of the 270Win. Heck maybe 7mm would be better for hunting.

Might be a nice short action, light weight 270!

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Ackley mentions it to be very efficient, curious to know if the velocities meet or exceed those of the 270Win.Heck maybe 7mm would be better for hunting. Might be a nice short action, light weight 270!

Would be eficient, short, etc. Not better than .270 Win. Can't improve .308 case much, it is already "improved". If you make it a 7mm, it'll be a 7mm/'08.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not a 270WSM?, better than 270 ballistics and a factory round too. Better resale value if you sell it later and cheap dies.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one, in the form of a Shilen match SS barrel on a Savage 110 action. I haven't played around with it any, and in fact I am going to sell it.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your right. Its supposed to be equivalent with less powder, recoil etc. I don't know all the details on the 270WSM but I suspect barrel life will be better in the 270/308 Ackley improved and accuracy may be better. The Tikka M55 bolt face is probably too small for the WSM. Also the clip is fairly narrow and I doubt the fat WSM would work.

Tikka M55 rifles are supposed to be about 6.5lbs - with a wood stock. The 270/308AI would fit nicely in a compact lightweight rifle.

Perhaps the 7mm-08 Rem is the way to go. Way too much reading to do.....................

Posts: 450 | Location: AB, Canada | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try a 260 Rem

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote