New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fore end filler?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a rifle that has a McMillan synthetic stock. I quite like the stock except there is a considerable gap between the barrel channel and the barrel. I'm considering glass bedding the channel to fill it in. I have a few questions. 1. Since I've not worked with synthetic stocks, is there anything I should know regarding what sort of filler would be best. and 2. Is there any procedure in application that would differ from a wood stock.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quite LIKE "gap-eye-tis" in my varminters and also cut slots in the sides and bottom to let the air circulate and cool tings off.

Bedding wood and fiberglass/kevlar is the same procedure...I've used probably all the various brands to bed various rifles and pistols for that matter and don't have a fav...other than what's on sale...they all work to various extents. I use a lot of JB compound because it's cheap I can usually find the large tubes at any auto store and small tubes in any garden variety "we have it all" store like Loews and Home depot. Brownells has color compound for mixing into bedding and thickeners also.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there any procedure in application that would differ from a wood stock.

Some synthetic stocks need locks to hold the glass bedding in place. I have drill holes in various spots roughen them up with sand paper.

I also wrap the barrel with tape then coat it with release agent and you end up with a tape wide gap.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

Well, if you still want it free floated but don't want to use $100 worth of bedding compound. Wrap the barrel with one or two thicknesses of electrical tape, put release agent on it and then fill the channel with plain old automotive Bondo and screw it down home FAST. Pop it out after 20 minutes and then sand the tape rings out with 220 alox rolled on a piece of doweling. If you want you can paint the Bondo to match your stock color.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The method I've used is fill the voids with some of that expanding spray foam from home depot. Then go over it with Acra glas bedding.
I've also sprayed it in the void in the butt stock to give it a full sound instead of the empty plastic milk jug sound in the bushes.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
While we're on the subject........I bought a Champion plastic stock, I think they used to be Ramline, for my M96 switchbarrel and the fit is atrocious, no where near correct, so I thought I would hog the whole thing out and bed it to a couple of inches past the action, and fit pillar tubes while I'm at it......my question is, other than a few holes for grip and roughing up the interior of the stock, is there any special sort of compound that should be used for the plastic stock ??

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bedded several Ram line stocks.

I have had good luck with holes and roughing up the insides.

I like drilling holes on both sides at different angles.

I did a plastic stock for a SKS once with out locks after the first shooting when I pop the action out to clean it the bedding fell out to.

After that I drill more then enough have not had any move after that.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

I mask off plastic stocks and sand blast the areas I want the bedding to stick to. It removes all traces of release agent and oils and gives a cratered, cut finish for the glue to stick to. Sticks like baby shit to a wool sweater.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
The method seems right.....drill, roughen, etc......what about the actual bedding compound, does it need to be anything special for the the plastic or will the usual suspects work.....Devcon, Acra Glas, JB ??

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yuma I've just used acra glas, even filled a side safety slot and some other things, works fine nothings ever fallen out or off.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...DEFINITELY needs the slick/shiny roughed up..Locks and pillars help...I used silicon rubber once, AKA bath tub caulk, the 20 year kind in black Big Grin to glue in a savage SA barrel, 222 Rem...YES...GLUED-IN the barrel, from the recoil lug forward, free floated the receiver, no screws needed. It shot great, but was a messy, mess to deal with. That stuff sticks to EVERYTHING and wont let go once set. Eeker Mad 2020

Good Hunting tu2 beer