THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German Claw Mount Dovetail - Direction ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There is a filler in my dovetail that I want to drive out. Before I commence "operations" I'd like to be 100% sure that I'm drifting it the right way, can someone please advise.

Thanks

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Almost without exception, firearm parts are inserted from the right side and driven out from the left. I believe claw-mount dovetails conform to this.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tentman,

You have a PM

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sight dovetails go in and out on the left side on most European firearms, in and out on the right side on most US made firearms.

If you are talking about a large dovetail thru a receiver ring or such, these often aren't beveled to either side. The claw base is usually peened or screwed down.

A picture would help.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sight dovetails go in and out on the left side on most European firearms, in and out on the right side on most US made firearms.

HUMMMMM

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote