New
Find
Notify
Tools

chambering question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
if a guy had a reamer for the 6.5ppc cartridge, could it be used to chamber a barrel for the 6.5 grendel cartridge by just running it in the extra depth?

thanks

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong and I don't have a print in front of me but, Iwould think the reamer, having a tapered body, would make a deeper penetration too large for the other cartridge at the rim.

Anybody?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe you may be right jim. at some point the base would have to become to large if it was a constant taper.

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is how the 6mm Dasher was originally done, just run the 6BR reamer in a little deeper. As for the Grendel, it is my understanding that there are propitiatory dimensions, protected by copyright in that chamber design. So I would be surprised if he made it compatible with the PPC parent case. If you want a Grendel without dealing the copyright protection, Les Baer came out with the .264 LBC which tweaks a few dimensions, but gives the same performance.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
The Grendel ownership claim by Alexander Arms has recently been relinquished, so it is no longer proprietary:http://bulletin.accurateshoote...5-grendel-trademark/

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I once ran a 308 matcth reamer into a Santa Barbera Mauser to open it to a 30-06. Shot beautiful tight groups from a sporter barrel. would not chamber a standard 30-06 because the neck was shorter on the 308 reamer. Had to custom trim all the brass for it. It is worth the effort to make the brass. There was no sign of the base being enlarged. popcorn

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote