THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where can i get a Savage replacement barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted
I have a model 110e 30.06 that is pretty pitted up. It is needing a new barrel and i don't want to spring for a Hart or similar barrel on this old gun. I contacted Savage and they won't sell just a barrel and won't replace mine even if i send it to them because it is pre 1995. So i checked the regular places like Midway, Midsouth, SSS and no one has one for a 30.06. Am i out of luck here? I prefer to just replace it with a stock barrel, stainless would be great if i could find it.

posted Hide Post
How about E.R. Shaw in Pennsylvania? Go to www.ershawbarrels.com

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted

<grkldoc>
posted
Sitting in my basement shop I have:
1. Stainless steel take-off barrel 300 win mag target contour fluted 26"
2. Stainless steel take-off barrel 243win sporter contour 22"
3. Blue used (take-off used rifle) 260rem sporter 22"

if none of these suit, Numrich gun parts will have more choices.

[ 01-30-2003, 05:28: Message edited by: grkldoc ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put a WTB in the Classified Forum. Some of the boys who rebarrel for a living will have a dozen or two Savage barrels laying in the corner.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Pablo>
posted
I have several savage take offs, they are new test fired only(for velocity comparison). Are you equipped to swap them yourself? I can do the necessary work if not. Factory sights may not come out on top, because of the age of your rifle. What would it be worth to you?

<BarryH>
posted
grkldoc,

You have a Private Message.

Barry

[ 02-02-2003, 16:40: Message edited by: BarryH ]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Well, the take-off barrel route is probably the best route, but for completeness:

--- Savage will rebarrel for $180
--- Numrich
--- Midway / Adams and Bennet barrel for $140
--- Pac nor $275
--- Sharp Shooters supply (Douglas barrels), but varmint contour stainless only, $240 some.
--- Any of the "top line" barrel makers, of course.

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input. My current barrel is a light sporter, 22", no sights. Wanting to replace it with basically the same thing, blue or stainless if i can find one. I want to keep the same taper etc so that i don't have to get a new stock or put major work into modifying mine. Pablo, are your barrels sightless?

Savage won't rebarrel for me cause my gun is a 1987.

Midway (adams/bennet) does not sell a 30.06.

I checked Numrich (thanks for the link) did not understand if those barrels are threaded and chambered. it is showing two options on 30.06, not sure which is which. They are around $60 to $80.

Thanks again!

<t_bob38>
posted
I expect that the reason Savage won't rebarrel your gun, is that they sold all their barrels (and other parts)to Numrich.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a take-off barrel, a new one should be much less than $100. I would place "wanted" ads on "Savage friendly" forums such as the Varmints Den and Snipershide, and call Sharp Shooter Supply, to see what they have (419-695-3179). HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Pablo,
Do you have any heavy barrels chambered in 243 Win.?