New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 6.5 x 55mm Swede
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking of building me a 6.5x55 Swede for my primary deer getter. I just like the caliber. I certainly realize there are many more flashy numbers out there but that is what I want. Now, the problem - I am left handed< !--color-->.

I am thinking of using either a long action Ruger M77 Mark II or a Remington 700 for the rebarrel. I noticed the diameter of the Swede is .476 instead of the normal .473. Will this difference require any change to the bolthead or will a .473 boltface work? Can anybody tell me the weight of the M700 action compared to the M77? I am looking to use a small contour barrel to make a lightweight rifle.

Will it be difficult to get this rifle to feed properly or should it be a simple rebarrel?

Should I just start off with a "custom" rig to start with? I am not looking to spend $3k on a rifle, are their any cheaper custom jobs out there I should consider?

Please keep in mind before you suggest I use a Mauser or a Pre 64 Winchester that I am left handed< !--color-->.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of 1cav sgt ret
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger m77mk2 in 6.5x55(is the regular righthand mdl)it is on a long action and has a mag block in it(I think you can get a correct magazine for it from brownells,should be a strightforward thing(no problems)

Posts: 48 | Location: scurry tx | Registered: 30 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you might want to wait a bit because CZ is supposedly coming out with a 550 in left hand, and they do chamber for 6.5x55 in the right hand versions. You might get lucky.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could tell you about The swede I built But you are a lefty. The Ruger would be a good Idea , Or That CZ in lefty would be a shooter.
I Used a new sweidish barrel on mine and they are very accurate barrels.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I just sold a "like new" left hand Sako AV in 6.5x55. They are out there, but are hard to find. If you do find one they will run about $1,200. I still have a new right hand Sako AV 6.5 that I will never part with. The easiest thing to do is find a left hand Sako with AIII, AV, or L691 action and rebarrel it. Also, open the bolt face to .476 so you can use Lapua or Norma brass. It's nice to have a Euorpean rifle shooting a European cartridge. I would look at the CZ next then the Winchester Featherweight. It's a great round, you'll absolutely love it. Recoil is negligible and not everybody in the woods is carrying one. It's simply a classy old round that flat gets the job done! Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey, you might want to wait a bit because CZ is supposedly coming out with a 550 in left hand, and they do chamber for 6.5x55 in the right hand versions. You might get lucky.

I don't think those are going to be out until mid 2005 from what I hear. That's a long time

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buzz, if you should decide to go custom after all, consider the MRC M1999, SA LH action. That action is *just* large enough to take a 6.5x55 and it is reasonably economical. MRC should be starting to ship those actions in the not too distant future, so the wait won't be as long as it has been.

If you are willing to do some wood finishing yourself, you could consider the MRC action as part of a "Ghostkit" from AcraBond: Ghostkit direct URL. All in all, you might be looking at 1-1.5K depending on how much work you are willing to do yourself. Not that much more pricey compared to a Sako.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very ecnomical and fast way to come up with a Lefty in any caliber is tp buy a Savage 110LH and rebarrel to your caliber. And I just bought a Sako 691 LH action for less than $400 for a custom build. I will have some where between $650 and $750 in it when I finish.But I expect going the Savage route would cost close to that.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As a southpaw I take offense at you calling it a "problem". Your problem is you are left-eyed!

Ruger-did you say RUGER?!

Another option is the Savage leftie with a bunch of A&B same contour barrels in a light synthetic. Switch barrel city.

Single shots are a option too. Wouldn't a superlight No. 1 be sweet? If you're lucky it will be one that won't shoot and will provide an accuracy freak like you a lifetime of pleasure getting it to shoot.

Buzz, you really should spend that money on an ATV.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Another option is that Charles Daly (KBI Inc) says that their left handed Mauser and mini mauser actions and barreled actions will be available this spring, although a left handed CZ550 sounds great.
(fellow southeye)

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ruger-did you say RUGER?!

Another option is the Savage leftie with a bunch of A&B same contour barrels in a light synthetic. Switch barrel city.

I think the problem with Ruger rifles are the barrels. If I can get a lefty M77 for a good price then get a Shilen, Douglas, or Lothar Walther barrel put on it - that should solve the problem.

Savage is a good idea too. I may look for a used Long Action one at the next gun show. I have a .270 LH Savage that I want to leave alone.

Quote:

Single shots are a option too. Wouldn't a superlight No. 1 be sweet? If you're lucky it will be one that won't shoot and will provide an accuracy freak like you a lifetime of pleasure getting it to shoot.

It would be sweet to have a #1 in 6.5 Swede.

Quote:

Buzz, you really should spend that money on an ATV.

Nah, I think I'll stick to my 2004 F150 FX4 and my own 2 feet

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with the newer ruger barrels, Geeze that mith wont die...ford doesnt make the model A anymore either

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would beg to differ. I have owned 2 of the newer ones as well as 2 of the older ones and accuracy sux on both. I've kept one of them anyway because it's a LH .300 WM. I am still not happy with it's groupings (~2" with most loads) but it is good enough to kill an elk.

Besides, Ruger only offers very vanilla chamberings for Southpaws. They offer me a .300WM, .270 Winchester, and .30-06. That makes a good start, but since I am not interested in a .270 or .30-06 - the barrel with just go in the trash.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Well id beg to differ too.

My Ruger .270 shoots 1/2 inch groups and there are many, many ruger owners that post that say they are happy with theirs and their Rugers shoot nice little groups also.

My ruger barrel also cleans very easy .

But there is always the same old song about all rugers have bad barrels . I heard rugers are all bad ,so it must be true. Sounds like a old brokin record that just keeps repeating ... Have you done any tuneing at all , float the barrel , bed it ,trigger???

If you think they are all bad , you had 4 bad ones eh?,Why did you keep buying them?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My Ruger .270 shoots 1/2 inch groups and there are many, many ruger owners that post that say they are happy with theirs and their Rugers shoot nice little groups also.

I don't doubt it. I've only shot one one Ruger that would group under and inch. It was Steve Y's and I believe it has been rebarreled. I've probably shot around 3 dozen M77s, most were around 1.5" or a little worse. That is plenty accurate enough for most big game hunting, but not accurate enough to stay in my safe.

Quote:

Have you done any tuneing at all , float the barrel , bed it ,trigger???

On 3 of 4 all of the above and also had 2 recrowned. on the .300 WM, I have added a Timney trigger. The first three have been sold and I only own the .300 WM at this point. I plan to see what I can do to make the .300 WM shoot better. I've only found 1 bullet (Nosler BT) that it will consistently print better than 2" groups with. Heck I have 100 year old surplus rifles that shoot that good with iron sights.

Quote:

If you think they are all bad , you had 4 bad ones eh?,Why did you keep buying them?

2 were given to me as Christmas presents, the 3rd I inherited when my father passed away. I bought the .300 WM because it was a left CRF action with a magnum bolt face for about $175 cheaper than I usually see right handed ones going for. I was willing to take a gamble knowing I would probably rebarrel it to .338 Mag at some point anyway. I guess you could say sombody else's money paid for most of them. I suppose we all have our experiences and they vary considerably, but in my experience and most of my friends - Ruger accuracy lags considerably behind Browning, CZ, Remington, Savage, and Tikka.

I am glad you are happy with your Rugers, but this discussion is really getting away from my original topic which was "Building a 6.5 x 55mm Swede" - preferrably from a left handed M77 or M700.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son is left handed and the course we take is to locate a proper anction and then rebarrel. If we had waited for the proper complete rifle, we would have very few!

Mike