Find
Notify
Tools

sako VS manlichere?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
These two guns are famous for good quality and accuracy and i'll ask your opinion if you had to choose betwwen them ,which one would be your choice and why?
Thanks in advance
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
I never had a Mannlicher,but I bought my first Sako,in 1967.I still buy Sako's,or use the actions,to have rifles built.So I am a satisfied customer.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny,

I've owned both.

Steyr Mannlichers in: Non of the new SBS's but;

Professional Model M's in 270 & 30-06 (double triggers, plastic stock, matte finish)

Standard Model M 7x57 (full stock, double triggers)

Sako's all older (no 75's):

Let's see, .243 Classic, Hunters in 7x64, 9.3x62, .338, and a 300 Mag. Left hand (bought for my son)

Fiberclass in 375 H&H

Sako Mannlichers in 30-06 and 338 Mag.

My current custom AII in 358 Wichester, Shilen 22" barrel, Brown Precision Kevlar stock, custom 3 position safety.

Pro and Con:

Accuracy: tossup, both have been very, very good, better than average.

Handling:

Sako is better, the bolt is better shaped for fast work, the Steyr has the flat bolt that makes fast work difficult.

Sako factory safety is silent, the Steyr has a very stong detent, and is not silent.

Steyr Bolt is smoother, but the double triggers are really not my cup of tea.

Finish, Steyr is a bit better.

Sako is very easy to get scope mounts for here in the US, Steyr is harder and less choice.

Sako's are easy to customize, Steyr's are harder, but that may be because American smith's have little experience with them.

Sako uses a very good manual ejector, Steyr's use a plunger thingee that's not as good.

Now, I do not like either of the new renditions by Steyr or Sako. The SBS and Sako 75 are, well cheap.

Good Luck,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Danny

Mannlichers are to me nothing more than an expensive piece of junk with the locking lugs in the wrong place [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

The old ones looks alright with butterknife handle and so, but they are not easy to work on or very strong.

I would go for a sako or a 98, If optional.

Cheers
/ JOHAN