New
Find
Notify
Tools

C&R Related question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a C&R license. How can I buy a C&R eligible rifle or action which I intend to use to build a custom "modern" firearm which may be sold in the future? If I buy it from an 01 FFL or private collection and log it in my logbook then I can't modify it and resell it later, right? If I don't log it in and it is C&R eligible then I'm in violation of the law, right? What's a guy to do?

Posts: 173 | Location: Meadowview Virginia | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a C&R, and my understanding is not the same as yours. I thought there was a limitation on modification when I first researched it, but I found that the limitation on guns modified to a modern form related to importation. In other words, a sporterized 98 which was modified in Europe could not be imported as a C&R, and would always be a modern firearm. If the gun is here and legally in the system as a C&R, I know of no prohibition on modification.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C&R or not, the law looks only at the receiver. What you do to it is your business and if you choose to sell it, it's still the receiver that's considered a firearm.

Posts: 111 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
please call the atf in this matter.

your CnR ONLY relates to CURIOS and RELICS... is does NOT allow you to sell guns, modify them as a gunsmith, or change them FROM CnR to something else.

The answer I have received is that if you intend to modify them into something that is NOT a CnR, then it is NOT a CnR and your are engaged in firearms trade.

Before any barricks barrister decides to jump me, ask yourself "is it better to err to the side of caution, and ASK the bafte, or risk 5 years in jail and NEVER being able to own a firearms again"

No, it doesn't matter that you BOUGHT it as a full military made in 1898 model 98 mauser and put it in your book. When you made it SOMETHING ELSE than the curio (read: collectable) you may have violated your license.

my advice, pay the 10 or 15 bucks a class 3 ffl wants for the xferr

jeffe

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I was told by ATF last year that I could buy a C&R rifle, then get it built into a custom but it would have to be logged off of my C&R records and the rifle is no longer C&R. The rifle is still perfectly legal just no longer a C&R.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso....I am perfectly willing to pay a type O1 FFL holder the transfer fees for curio and relic eligible firearms. But my question still is do I enter firearms obtained through those means into my bound book? Then if I use the receiver of said firearm to build a custom (read "modern") firearm have I violated my license?

ArtS, JoeZ....Your replies seem to make sense.

Browninguy....How do you make the entry in your bound book that the formerly C&R item was modified and "logged out." Who do you log it out to? If it is logged out to yourself do you enter "Modified to modern firearm"?

I'm starting to wonder why anyone would get a Type 03 FFL (C&R) if it put them in a Catch 22 "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. In other words, the holder of a 03 Type FFL might severely limit himself in how he can modify or otherwise dispose of a C&R eligible firearm no matter how it was obtained.

I think I'm gonna be writing the ATF with a lot of questions.

Posts: 173 | Location: Meadowview Virginia | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only weapons you have to enter in your bound book are the ones you bought using your C & R license.

Posts: 15 | Location: SE North Carolina | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BOBW,
I am in agreement. If the gun was purchased from a dealer and the standard ATF forms were filled out, there would be no reason to enter in his book. BUT I would have a copy made of the forms for his own records in case the dealer ( insert term here, such as died.) isn't avaiable.

Just because it's C&R elgible doesn't mean it has to be part of a collection.

Posts: 12 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the C&R was designed for the serious collector, of "neato" stuff....

If you bought it on your license, you have to book it. If you didn't, it's a good idea to record name, location, sn, etc, of the other stuff. but that applies to everyone, right?

the C&R is meant for intact curios (say a tocarov rifle) and relics (civil war zuave rifle)

here's the list, from the atf

and THIS is the answer to your question
" All Original military bolt action and semiautomatic rifles mfd. between 1899 and 1946."

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/2001index.htm

jeffe

[ 11-29-2003, 18:09: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Plus what is specifically enumerated on the lists.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote