THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: What to do with a rifle with sentimental value?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to do with a rifle with sentimental value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello Bob - a difficult decision.

I have a 1945 Model 70 Supergrade in 250-3000 that has been my rifle of choice for Springbok, Mountain Reedbuck etc for almost 30 years. When I got it there were only traces of the original checkering and very little of the blueing left. I steamed out the dents, recut the checkering and worked up a decent oil finish. Soon I'll redo the blueing - maybe fit a Lyman aperture sight if I trip over one.

Fortunately I'm in the position of being able to do all the work myself - so I look on it as giving something back to the rifle for all the enjoyment it has given me.

Why don't you approach a competent gunsmith, tell him that you would like to do the work yourself and ask him if he would oversee/guide your restoration effort.

One word of caution - you may end up doing odd small jobs for him in repayment! Don't ask.

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a fit of thinking I was doing a good thing, I redid my dad's 1945 M70. He gave it to me after that because he said I had taken away an old friend of his. I felt very badly. I would leave the guns as they are; they can tell their stories in the first person. If you redo them, they are as actors.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For long term storage of handguns I use stole my Mom's FoodSaver. It a vaccum and heat to seal items airtight. I simply clean and oil the guns (or parts) and place a silica gel packet in with them and seal them up. You could probably keep a pistol rust free and as new for years.
http://www.foodsaver.com/

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote