New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock filler material question
 Login/Join

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I have an aftermarket walnut stock that I really like except for one thing. The grip area is too far away from the trigger guard for my small hand. What I intend to do is use some type of filler to build up the pistol grip area, then refinish and paint the entire stock.
What filler would work for this application? My first inclination was the body filler bondo that comes in the squirt tube but I don't know how well that would bond to the wood.

Also, when I paint the stock I was wanting some sort of no slip area around the grip as well as the forearm. Any recomendations on a good product?

Oh yes, one last question. The stock has aluminum 3 way adjustable butt plate and wheel operated cheek piece. Is there some sort of durable black finish I can put on these parts myself so they will match the stock when the setup is done?

one of us
posted Hide Post
"filler to build up the pistol grip area".........Epoxy Putty, works great.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Filler will work to change your grip profile, fine sand to add traction sprinkled on the first coat of paint. There are numerous paints you can use on the metal parts, I would suggest powder coating (check with the local auto supply places, they should know where to go) as it lasts a lot longer then paint. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote