Notify
Tools

Question on Rechambering a military barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
Gentlemen,

I went down to drop off my 98/22, barrel, and reamer to have my gunsmith rechamber it to 8x68s for me today. I recently had him make a slight cut to the face of the receivers I plan to sporterize so everything will be nice and square. Looking at the receiver and the outer torque shoulder on the barrel, he didn't think there was enough of a shoulder on the barrel make this an accurate conversion. He said it would be safe, but didn't know how accurate it would be...

I do not yet own a proper outside micrometer, but using my calipers, the torque shoulder on the barrel measures 1.110". The major diameter of the barrel threads is 1.108". Is this enough of a shoulder? If it is not, would it be possible to turn these threads down to small ring thread so I would be able to use a Turkish 98 receiver?

I have read were a lot of military 98's have been converted to 8x68s over the years with success and have never heard of anyone having any problems with small shouldered barrels during the conversion. Should I have him go ahead rechamber it and try it? I think we could get away with it, but he told me to do some more research and get back to him. What should I do here?

Thanks,

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of them were converted to 8x60, not an 8x68. There is no meat left on your barrel shoulder.

Have you read your little tag line that attaches to your post lately?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know military barrels on Mausers were only torqued against the internal "C" ring.

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The main point is that the barrel being old the bore ( throat where the reamer pilot is supported Wink ) is bound to be worn oversize. Eeker Hope you hava a reamer that takes various size pilots to be able to correct the problem.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Tex,

I cut my barrels so they butt up against the inner torque or "c" ring. I cut the shank so it is .002" longer than the distance from outer to inner rings. This way when the barrel is cinched up the outer shoulder just kisses the front ring. Volumes have been written about how it is impossible to load both torque shoulders equally so I don't even try. I use the inner like it was designed.

I have an old guild gun that was rebarreled with an '03 springfield barrel and it has no shoulder.

My more immediate concern would be is there enough meat in the barrel for the 8x68 chamber. A little quick math says yes.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote