New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing acu-trigger on Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at buying a magnum ie: 300 win mag/7 rem mag/338 win mag Savage left hand bolt gun for a project,(rebarreling to 416 Taylor) but have been informed that all magnum Savage's leaving the plant have the acu-trigger, which is not what I want for a heavy rifle. How much trouble would it be to retro-fit a replacement trigger on a Savage with the acu-trigger ? I am considering a used older L/H savage so I wont have to mess with it. Thanks for the info....

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Sharp Shooters Supply has a replacement trigger. Not sure I understand your need for it, but it's there if you want it. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Eterry,

Two things you should consider:
  • The Accu-Trigger is adjustable up to 6lbs. If you replace it with another trigger, you might have to shim it.
  • The Savage 110 series rifles are all blind-magazine set-ups (the ability to clear debris from your action with out removing the stock may be of some importance to you (or not)).

There are lots of Savage 110s on gunbroker.com, so you should not have trouble finding one.

Personally, I'd use an M-70 in 7mmRem.Mag. or .300Win. Mag. as the basis for a .416 Taylor.

George
  •  
    Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the info guys...GeorgeS you read my mind...I bought a new 111-GL on Gunbroker this evening. I am using the Savage because it is an affordable left hand and midway is selling 416 Taylor barrels that thread on the Savage action, so a barrel, an action wrench,a set of dies and thru-bolts and I am in business. I might not make it to Africa, but it will flatten wild hogs and whitetail around here for certain, and I already own one in 30-06 and am familiar with the weapon.
    BTW, after hunting season I do strip it down and get the leaves, dirt, etc. out of the magazine well.

Good luck and good shooting,
    Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote