Find
Notify
Tools

Tubb's Final Finish ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
I did a search here any I see comments good and bad with post going back as far as 2002. I don't see many recent post and was wondering how people feel about this product now that it has been around longer? Thanks.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raising my hand.....I ran Tubb's Final Finish through two new rifles, one a Ruger 10/22T...this could never be an Anschutz but accuracy potential enhanced.......in fact, I believe that is my sole mission in all my shooting endeavors, that is to get whatever the factory made to shoot as best it can. The other through a new Rem M700 VLS .223 Varmint.....of course there is always a break in period for any new barrel, but have fired sub 0.5"MOA groups with W-W White Box 45gr. HP's..so system didn't hurt a bit. For my Anschutz M1413, factory did not recommend as this vintage rifle over 40 years old and is a X ring rifle as I fire it. Bottom line is, it may improve a factory barrel and instructions say it won't damage, so I believe in the system. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
Now this is going to be a fun topic. I can't wait to hear all those comments from those that think the Sun rises and sets in Davids shirt pocket.

I'll lurk for a while. popcorn

Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
I'll lurk a while too - hoping for some real insight as to whether or not it works...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used it on a 6.5-284 that I had barreled to a mauser several years back. The barrel had a problem with being very rough. It tended to catch patches when I cleaned it and it took forever. I did not use all of the bullets, but it fixed the roughness, which was what I was after. As far as I can tell, it did not effect accuracy one way or the other, but this is not a target rifle, just a hunting rifle.

I didn't know who David Tubb was, at the time, and it certainly didn't influence my decision. I am impressed by his accomplishments, but his writing puts me to sleep. I am sure this is his in name only. I just wanted to lap this barrel and it seemed like the easiest way to do it. Worked fine for what I wanted.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only used it once. That was on a barrel that fouled horribly. The Tubbs system worked as advertised. It did, however, move the throat forward.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tell people to fire lap only as a last resort. If your next option is to replace the barrel, then you have nothing to lose. It definitely shortens the life of the barrel and does not live up to the hype-meaning a lot of what was originally written about firelapping is BS. BUT...it can be beneficial.

I would never, under any circumstances, use it on a barrel I liked.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rarely disagree with Mr. Stokeld, but I do in this instance. I have either firelapped (with the Final Finish system) or been involved in firelapping a load of rifle barrels. It may/does in fact move the throat forward a little--usually--but I have had results from no impact on accuracy and improvement in the smoothness and reduction in fouling of the barrels, to phenomenal increases in accuracy.

I have never had a negative effect from the process, with the exception of the throat scooting forward--if you consider that negative.

I will firelap another barrel with the system if me or a buddy end up with a fouler of a barrel, or one that just won't shoot.

I have come to use varying levels of the finishing bullets depending on the condition of the barrel. In other words in some cases, I only use the finer grits if a barrel seems close to being polished to the end of the final finish system.
I'm a fan.

Oh yeah, and I have used it on a barrel I liked, but just liked OK, and it helped, but not one I loved!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of montycalhoun
posted Hide Post
I havent used Tudds system but I have firelapped a barrel. I have a Rem 7 .223. It averaged just over 1 inch groups. Bedded it, helped a little. I used a product out of Brownells, I cant remember the maker but it had the two steel plates and three different pastes of varying grit. As I shot I cleaned the rifle every 5 rounds. I was amazed how much easier it was just pushing the patch and jag through the barrel as I went along. After bedding and firelapping it is a regular 3/4 inch shooter (when I do my part).

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety (1759)

Posts: 110 | Location: Baghdad Iraq, Caldwell Idaho | Registered: 15 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only fire-lapped one barrel so far...

Ruger Mk II stainless, 6" barrel (bought it new,) the whole Neco pre-charged kit.

Before- barrel had plenty of tool marks, lead-fouled badly, cleaned worse.

After- no visible lead fouling, much better appearance, cleans with a few patches.

It was a last resort, and it worked like a charm.

Don't know how far the throat moved, but it shoots better than me.

Posts: 82 | Location: SW FL | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote