THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why dont we see more fiber optic rifle sights?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fiber optic sights have taken over archery.

They've made inroads on shotguns. They seem standard on turkey guns now.

I see them on muzzleloaders a lot too these days.

But why haven't I seen them for regular centerfire and rimfire rifles?

FWIW I'm looking for a Rem 700 fiber optic front sight. Or looking to make my own.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, talking about plain old front sights.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have little to offer over a traditional ivory bead..I have one on my 416 and its fine, but the ivory or a partridge post suits me just as well, and that is whats on my other big bores.

That is unless your talking about the scope type rear sights with the fiber optic bead, in which case I don't want anything with a battery on one of my hunting rifles, and they don't show up well in bright light...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I just picked up my Stainless Featherweight 30-06 M70 from local smith Dave Gentry. I had him shorten the barrel to 21" and install an NECG "Classic" rear base and Ashley front base with green fiberoptic bead. I find it far superior to any other bead I've used including ivory. Dave laughed when I showed up wanting back-up iron's installed as no one has them done anymore. Besides looking good on a carbine I believe they could be a hunt-saver... I like "redundancy" in system's and an 06' sort of cries-out for something so antiquated!

one of us
posted Hide Post
After looking down the barrel of, and shooting, a rifle equipped with NECG's skeletenized rear sight with a fiberoptic aiming point paired with a front fiberoptic bead I will have nothing else put on a rifle which wears irons for anything besides ornamental decoration.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post

Remington Rifle FireSight SET:
Rear sight fits most newer style Remington sight base.� Steel front bead fits newer style front sight ramp.
click here to view a picture.
Item # 56530� -� Remington� FireSight Set �Fits Pre 2003 Rifles,������������ Muzzleloaders, all Shotguns������������������������������������������� $28.95�

Item # 70267 - Remington� FireSight Set� Fits Post 2003 Rifles, and Muzzleloaders with a 1-pc. Ramp���������������������������������� $29.95�

Item #70101� -� 597 Open Sight Set�� $32.95

Try midway maybe?

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I think it is a smart move,for any rifle you take someplace you cant walk out of in a day. There still are such places and hunts where the rifle can quickly go from being a sporting arm to a survival tool.

HBH

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Agreed!

posted Hide Post
How fragile are they?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have not seen them on rifles but have on shotguns. They seem very nice and there is quicker target acquisition especially in low light(IMHO).

I have handled some new shotguns in the stores. the salesperson hands the gun to me, i raise it to my shoulder, look down the barrel and find the sight is gone. They can be fragile just from bumping on a gun rack. It might depend on the model. but somethign to consider is that they may break.

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the reason you don't see more fiber optic rifle sights is that you hardly see anyone using rifle sights at all. This forum is obviously an exception, but take a look at how many rifles even come with sights. Even if they do, someone will likely mount a non-removeable scope to it.

I think it's a shame that the latest generation of shooters is being denied the experience of learning to shoot with iron sights. I grew with iron sights on military rifles and didn't get to use a scope until I was proficient with them.

I've used the NECG small fiber optic front sight and it is definitely high quality. It may not be as traditional as a German silver bead, but the Masterpiece ramp allows for a quick change of beads for field use.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote