Find
Notify
Tools

how to make shooting sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

I am thinking to make a basic set of shooting sticks for my dad's birthday in late May. Not even sure what sort of wood/materials to use but something easy and low budget and if I do OK making them then perhaps I can make an appropriate set afterward. He's 6'1" and I stand 6' so not sure if that impacts things.

Thanks!

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a serious look at those aluminum adjustable walking sticks (reasonable $). If not long enogh you could make and extension to the bottom. FWIW --- John 303.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

A real basic set is simple. Go to the local Home Depot or other garden center and get three 6 foot bamboo sections. Find nice straight ones. Then go to the local hardware store and get a get a Hoover vacuum cleaner belt. These are large rubber band types, some are round and some are flat. I like the round ones. Wrap it around all three about 8-10 inches from the top and you are ready to go. Total cost around $10.00

Try a search here on AR "African Hunting" for past discussions and pictures. Use "Shooting Sticks" or something similar for criteria.

These will be very similar to what is used in Africa.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Replacement broom sticks work okay with the Hoover belts, too. Wrap a bit of duct tape around the stubs to protect the fore-end from getting marked.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Please do a Search here on AR, this has benn covered many times.
They are easy to make.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I used two carbon arrows with no feathers on them full length don't cut any off.

Glue a threaded insert into each end and screw in a sharp field point in one end and a blunt in the other end put them together about 6" from the end with 3 or 4 "O" rings you can buy at AutoZone be sure they are 1/8" dia thickness and fit over the two arrows realy tight.

Also check out varmintals website. I think these are realy great sticks also. Here is his link.

http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks all! if using the "Hoover Method" is it cut or just wrapped around a few time until snug?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wrap it around until snug. 2-3 loops, IIRC.

Do a search as mentioned and I believe you will find some pics.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote