New
Find
Notify
Tools

1903 Mannlicher Scope mount question..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1903 Mannlicher and of cours scope mounts are a little hard to find and expensive. I was looking around and ran into this <http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_962070070_1.jpg> and was wondering if it could be modified to work. Surely one could get close, I mean they mount those hideous side mounts on 94 Winchesters and they are 2 or more inches left of the boreline. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Uhgg! Don't do it.

If you must mount a scope you can find the proper two piece mounts.

I once had a 1903 drilled and tapped and installed a scope using the correct mounts. Nevertheless, I regretted modifying that rifle for a scope. It was so light and handy before and afterward the scope made it feel and look all akilter.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't drill an original 03 Mannlicher.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the proper side mount then I can help, I have a brand-new complete Jaeger single-lever one that's never been on a rifle yet. If you absolutely HAVE to D&T that 1903 then IMO a good side mount is the way to go. Lots less awkward and the iron sights are still usable if wanted.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote