Find
Notify
Tools

model 11
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted
i have my fathers rem mod 11 shotgun. it is in great shape and a super shooter.

the choke is full and will pattern shot into a very tight group pattern but, i want a barrel that i can shoot slugs thru without screwing up an awsome barrel. can i get another barrel for this great old shotgun and if so, from where.

also how does steel shot affect this tight choked barrel?

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted fries
posted Hide Post
more info;

barrel is aprox 29.5 inches. it is stamped remington arms and browning patent numbers below this. it is also stamped 12GA for 2 3/4 or shorter shells. also stamped here is the word "full" with proof marks right and left sides. the barrel is ribbed the full length with a solid rib and a gold bead at the muzzle.

left side of reciever has an engraved duck above the word remington and below this word is the serial number, 764947. forward of the engraved duck is what appears to be a key of some type that protrudes thru the left side of the reciever.

right side of reciever is another engraving of a pheasant. the bolt is engraved with the " model 11". along with the action release button.

the trigger guard has a safety in the topmost area of the rear guard that acts as a crossbolt of sorts. the trigger has a hole in the rearmost section and the left side of triggerguard has an hourglass looking stamp in the top.

the wrist has a tang that extends about 3 and 3/8 inch into the buttstock. the checkering on wrist is elongated and trianglated in an arc towards the action. checkering seems to have been stamped or has so much wear that the fine sharp tops are worn away.

there are several screws that have lock screws inletted into the head to maintain tightness.

the reciever is "humped" in the browning fasion.

i have fiddeled with this shotgun some and the takedown of the action has me baffled. can someone help me with a description of how to dissasemble this shotgun for what is probably a very needed deep cleaning as i never seen my father take it apart and doubt that it has ever been apart for at least 30 years i know of.

thanks all and i look forward to reading from all as to age and details on this shotgun as well as finding another barrel that i can modify or is already made for slugs. also { not that i ever would sell} id like to know the value of this old gun.

Ted

----------------------------------
when all is said and done...more will be said then done

Posts: 134 | Location: alaska | Registered: 26 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
if you go to browning's website you can find a downloadable manual for your gun... its the same as a al-5....savage also made guns just like your remington... if browning doesnt offer the manual in a download, you can request a free print copy... it will take about 2 weeks to get it... you can find a spare barrel on gunbroker, gunsamerica, gunsinternational.... post a WTB here, somebody's got a slug barrel for you...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://gunmanuals.net/Manuals/remington_11.pdf

Here is a link to the manual. The barrels were not made to shoot steel shot in most of the older shotguns. Barrels were fitted to the locking block and breech block as each gun was different. You need to have a gunsmith check out any barrel to see if it is locking up tight and the headspace is correct. Browning also had early barrels that required fitting. This change over to interchangeable barrel was in the 70's if I remember correctly.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Remington model 11..

There are made on the Browning patent.

e-gunparts has offered barrels for these shotguns in the past.

The model 11 guns were manufactured pre- 1964 and as with pre-1964 Brownings each barrel must be hand fitted.

There are some suttle differences between the A5 barrel and the model 11 barrel. You may fine the model 11 barrels and model 48 barrels are interchangable with some fitting.

LongShot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote