New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57-280?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
is it possible to rechamber a LA 7x57 (ruger) to 280 remington?
is it a simple rechamber?
if not haw about 7x64?

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Steph

do a search on ammoguide.com , they have a rechamber feature.

Rich

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry, i must be stupid. i thought this was an easy one to answer.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no expert, but it sure sounds like an easy rechamber.

Hank

Life, it's good...

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The answer is yes with one small reservation. The normal neck on the 7x57 is a touch larger than the neck on the 280. Depending on your chamber and 280 reamer you might have a slight shoulder in the neck. If you do it would be a simple step to use a neck reamer to clean it up. The very slight difference would not affect the 280..

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yes it can be rechambered. Might have to set the barrel back a bit in order for the reamer pilot to have more contact when you start cutting.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would never rechamber a 7x57 to .280, costs money and the you'll never know the difference on game. I guess if you have 3000 empty .280 cases, it might make sense.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You also gotta be sure of your reamer dimensions...often, you'll end up with a "double shoulder" Nothing to worry about for safety, but will drive a reloader crazy..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
I would never rechamber a 7x57 to .280, costs money and the you'll never know the difference on game. I guess if you have 3000 empty .280 cases, it might make sense.

I once had a ton of .280 brass. But instead of getting one, I re-sized the cases and used them in my 7X57's...

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be kinda like trading in your 1966 Corvete on a 1995 model. It my be a little faster but its not nearly as classy.

My 7x57's have been very effecient game killing guns with low recoil, exceptional penetration and outstanding accuracy.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My first custom was a 280. I've lost count of what I have built since. I took my 280 Wildact to Namibia. I built a 7x57 for my wife for elk and below. I would not hesitate a second to use her rifle (if it fit me)instead of my 280. 250-300 yds and less the animal will never know the difference.

She took an Gemsbok at about 250yds. A 140Accubond broke the leg on the way in took out the heart broke the off leg and stopped under the hide.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked a rifle maker in UK about this some time ago, as 7x57 is a prohibited military calibre in France and Belgium. He said that there were no problems with doing it.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote