New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics of rifle I had built last year
 Login/Join

<Sniper>
posted
Ok Ok so maybe the color is not for everyone but I like the way it turned out.

Win Model 70 Classic Action polished and trued, trigger set to 2.5 lbs

Pac-Nor 26" #4 Contour Select barrel chambered for 257 Weatherby Mag

Richard's Microfit Electric Blue Laminate Stock, full length bedded.

I've been able to get < 1" groups with 100 Barnes XLC's, 117 SST's, and 115 Nosler Partitions. I picked the Partition as my hunting load. I've been lazy and have not shot it through my chrony yet.

Pics could have been a little better

-

-

-

[ 08-10-2003, 10:08: Message edited by: Sniper ]

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Sniper,

You right, that color 1s not for everyone, but as a long range zapper it must be great. Nice work.

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper,
I think that is a dandy of a rifle myself.
Every rifle needs to be different from every other rifle in my household,I have even put plastic stocks on my thutty-thutty to set it apart from the crowd and it adds an all-weather touch. The factory stocks were in miserable shape anyway.
Your rifle is distinctive,handsome even and judging from the performance it was put together correctly. And that, alone is what matters most to me. I have a stock on the way from Richards for my 1891 Arg. Mauser and it looks like they did a fine job on yours and that makes waiting for mine just that much easier. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a real fan of their thumbhole styling but I like the color. I used the Electric blue for one of my "F" class rifles (built on a pre-war M70)just because I thought it was eye catching. It is one of my favorites. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle, and the color "ain't" bad either. How much work is involved in using one of those stocks for a long action rem 700, heavy contour barrel. Is it something the average person can do with common tools?

Thanks

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
The stock came 85-90% complete. I am not a woodworker and do not even pretend to be. If you have finished stocks before I would say you could do it no problem. I took mine to a custom gunbuilder here in my area and he did the work. Did it cost me more money? Yes but I got what I wanted and it was done right the first time vs me not having a clue and messing it up.

I need to take some pics of rifle outside, better lighting, and full length shots.

[ 08-11-2003, 05:17: Message edited by: Sniper ]

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
That's one wild looking dude, but I'd probably stop short of putting one up like that for myself. As long as your happy with it, that's what counts. It does have some hollywood appeal, and the best part is, if someone stole it, it would be easy to track down and identify. [Wink]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
A friend of mine from another website said I should name it "Elvis" [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper
The problem I have with thumb hole stocks is that in my opinion they are dead set ugly, dont think that I hate them coz I don't, it's just that they are.....like I said, F@#$ING ugly, BUT yours..... yours is the finest design that I have seen, the color is a bit loud for my liking, but hey, it's bloody nice and I want one. Where can I contact this fella.

Posts: 30 | Location: close | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
What most people fail to realize, of course until they shoot one, is that the thumbhole designed stock, at least Harry Lawson's, reduces a tremendous amount of felt recoil.
I've shot Harry's stocked 375 H&H's that had less felt recoil than my Remington 721 30-06. Harry's stock design was such that it directed the recoil straight back, reducing muzzle jump, but it also moved some of the recoil into your hand, and elbow. This is by no means an uncomfortable amount, but it makes a noticeable difference when compared to the traditional recoil associated with a quality "Classic" stock.
They're kinda hard on the eyes, but easy on the shoulder. Not to mention, if you shoot a lot of off-hand shots, they are leaps and bounds ahead of a traditional rifle stock for steadiness.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I like everything but the color. I suspose I'm to old fashion to like anything that loud.
The question I have is that I have never heard of the pac-nor barrel before. What is everyones opinion of this barrel.

<Sniper>
posted
hey oldfart...go to

www.pac-nor.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aged Flatulence...
There was thread here a while back about "Best Barrel?" or some such. Some poster said he had a Pac-Nor that split stem-to-stern on the first shot through it and others posted that the customer service there was only slightly better than at a five-star French restaurant (meaning it sucked!). Take anything and everything you read in these forums with a sack of salt. I went with Krieger; I wanted a cut-rifled barrel and price be damned. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks unique and cool [Cool] and once more sounds as if it pefroms well.

Just to add there is only one bloke who needs to be happy [Wink]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
That thing looks fast just sitting there.