New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now I need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How would you build a mauser on a working mans budget.

A very generous board member sold me a VZ24 at a very nice price. Now what, it is orginal. I am thinking rear bridge, two or three postion safety and new bottom metal with a Timney trigger.New bolt knob squared up and matte blued. I want a nice gun with decent wood nothing major. I am looking for a solid gun that looks good, but not so good you would not hunt it.

I have a 280AI and a 338-06AI soooo thinking 375 Ruger or 416AR. Also kicking a 284Win 6.5x57 and 6.5WSM.

First Mauser build so I want the most bang for the buck. I would also like to keep it under $2000.00 more like $1500.00

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
First of all, what tools, machine or otherwise do you have? Lathe? You almost have to have a lathe to avoid paying someone to cut, crown, thread and chamber your barrel. PAC-NOR will sell you a pre-thread, pre-crowned, long chambered barrel for $300. A Dakota safety $125 Brownell's dealer price and another $75 - $100 to fit it.. A Richards Microfit AA Fancy Claro Walnut stock for around $200, $250 with pad, grip cap and forend tip. A bolt handle job will cost about $125. Bead blast and blue about $120. I think $1500 would get it done for you if you are careful in searching out the best bargains and smiths who will do a good job for a reasonable price.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
The big cost in a custom is the stock and especially if you want fancy wood and pretty checkering.

If you can live with a synthetic of some sort the cost can be controlled.

I strongly recommend you not scrimp on the metal.

A Dakota bolt welded on is about $55-$60 and well worth it.

A dakota three position safety makes the difference between nice rifle and beautiful rifle. This runs about $200-$250 or so.

Drill and Tap is about $40, Timney trigger is about $65.

Bottom metal is all over the place so shop and look well.

Install a Douglas barrel and the barreled action including bluing can run you about $1000-$1,200 and just add a synthetic stock and you're where you want to be and have a very sweet rifle.

A well crafted, fitted, finished, and checkered wood stock can run $1,000-$2,500 alone!!!!!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I have noticed quite a few triggerguards and bottom metal on Auction Arms Lately.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote