Find
Notify
Tools

Power custom grip frames on a Blackhawk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have this 41 Magnum that my father gave me and I want to convert it to a Bisley style gun so I can enjoy it more.

I have some arthritis issues with my hands and I have shot bisley styled guns and can control them more.

Is this something I can do myself or does it require a PHD in Ruger single actions to work?

Gun also needs a reblue, could use some other custom work as well.

Anyone got a good recommendation for a pistol smith who does blackhawks?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do the conversion yourself. You just need the parts. The frame may take a little fitting to snug up square to the frame.

Does Power Custom still make frames?

You can get all of the Ruger factory parts for the conversion through Brownells or Midway for a little less than $200 last I checked.

Pistolsmiths that I have used with good results: Clements, John Gallager, Cylinder and Slide, and SSK Ind.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
They do take fitting to look nice, but it's pretty straight forward if you have the right tools and experiance.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to try a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips on your Blackhawk in the short term. A little ugly but they are Bisleyish and may help a lot. Cheap and nothing permanent.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have that going on.

We'll see how 2015 treats us, if we end up staying in America past the end of the year I'll talk to Gary Reeder about making this one awesome.

I talked to Hamilton Bowen a few years ago, he is about as expensive as they come. Nice guns, but I am not interested in a $4500 revolver made on a Ruger.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the very same conversion you are talking about some years ago. I was lucky and everything fit correctly, dropped right in, and functioned perfectly. Your milage may vary, but it is certainly worth a try.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sagebrush,

Did you use the Ruger OEm parts or the parts from Power Custom?