New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on a stock blank?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I feel like my wife must feel, standing in front of the closet looking at her wall of shoes for half the evening while I stand anxiously in the background checking my watch......

Duane has waited patiently for me to make a decision about a stock blank for quite some time, and now all the pieces are in place, except the blank.

Here's my dilemma: On one hand I have a stunning piece of walnut that would no doubt be a jaw dropper, but I wonder if it would be just too much.

On the other hand I have a great piece of walnut with nice figure, great color, and if I didn't have the other would be a no-brainer. But if I did choose it, would i wonder, what-if?

Yes, I know I am over thinking this. Yes, I know I am acting like a woman about this, my wife has already shaken her head at me at least 50 times and told me in her half loving-half disgusted, and mockingly supportive voice "you're an idiot!".

What say you?

Blank #1:

Blank #2

And the metalwork that will ride aboard:

Forrest, are you out there?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
#2 turns my crank. And the stock arrived today Charles! Great job! Anyone wanting a first class synthetic paint job at a good price need look no farther than CAS II!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The picture of blank #1 isn't the best. Here are a couple more from Adam at Luxus. He went through his stash and picked it out for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I had a minor heart attack when I got an email from USPS saying that it was undeliverable, then another saying it was headed to another town. Glad to know it showed up OK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CAS II

For this rifle it is a no-brainier. It would have to be #2.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
My choice would be number one, not even close for my tastes. Number two would make a nice two piece IMO for a high grade shot gun. It's way too busy for a rifle. But we all have our own personal preferences and in the end please yourself.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you ever regret using blank # 2? Ever regret dating a pretty girl?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
They're both beautiful pieces of wood.

We should all be faced with such a dilemma!

I think I would have to go with No. 2 if I were you. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now let me see...too pretty...too much money...too much fun...nope, too much BS, always go with the best!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer seems quite simple to me. You need two rifles and then plan a trip to Africa. Ok, that was easy since it wasn't my money, but I would keep both!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Would you ever regret using blank # 2?

I doubt it. So I take it that you don't think it would be "too much of a good thing"?

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Ever regret dating a pretty girl?

Actually, yes. A couple different times...... Those are stories are unsuitable for a family oriented discussion board. I'll fill you in over a beer some time Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
#2 turns my crank. And the stock arrived today Charles! Great job! Anyone wanting a first class synthetic paint job at a good price need look no farther than CAS II!

Number 2 any day or night

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Both very nice but I'd also go with #2.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
If you don't use #2 you'll forever be kicking yourself. If you go with #1 Give your wife a couple hundred dollars to hire someone to come by and kick you when one of your friends is too busy.

Posts: 962 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Caliber of the rifle?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
My taste in wood has mellowed now that I've had a few built. Call me a prude but they're both too busy for me. No offence meant but I would keep looking.

Sometimes less is more.

Terry

PS. I think Forrest gave up on this place.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#2. Wow.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's going to be a 375 H&H.

Granite Mountain action, Smithson QD ring system, Octagon/Round barrel with full length rib by Ralf martini.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#2 and then keep the lines of the stock as straight forward pure classic as possible.... dead level comb, long grip and an ebony tip, simple fine checkering.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
#2 turns my crank.

times two!!!!

#2 does it for me.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't kick either out of the bed...I mean safe.

I'll cast my vote for #1 and echo #2 may be too distracting (for my taste). Plus I'd probably ruin the finish drooling over it.

In any event, congratulations, it will be a beautiful rifle.

Jim

Posts: 49 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Dempsey summed it up pretty well for me.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a 375 H&H or other African Caliber rifle I like number 1 better. For me it has a more traditional heavy gun grain flow.
Number 2 is prettier or gaudier depending on how you look at it but for me it seems like it would fit better on a 257 Roberts with Gold inlay or something of the like.
Just my 2cents, my asthetic sense may be different or similar to your's. Either one should make us happy Smiler .......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CasII,

If it was my barreled action and my two blanks, and the selected blank was going to Duane for stocking, I'd send the second blank and never look back. The first blank is very good, but the second is spectacular. I'm not sure you can get too much of a good thing.

Tom

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post

#2 belongs on the matching 300hh he is going to build

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the last 25 years I have been fortunate enough to have a number of custom guns made by some of our better makers. Most of them, I have sold. I decided that I like the "making" process better than the "having". Strange, I know.

But onething I have noticed is that over the years I have gone for plainer and plainer wood. Give me good color, grain, lay-out and density. With two piece stocks I still like the crazy action of wild wood, but I think that too fancy of wood distracts from the neatness of the metal work, perfect fine line checkering, etc. I guy told me years ago, that too fancy of wood is boring. That happens to be the case for me.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#2 without a doubt

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since it's just opinion (I probably couldn't afford either blank), I'd vote for #1.

Classic barreled action, 1/2 octagon barrel, classic caliber, it just cries out for a classic, straight grained stock with a little flair.
#2 is the flashy, homecoming queen type, while #1 is the pretty girl with glasses that once you take off the glasses and see what she really looks like, she's the one you want to settle down with.

But of course, it's just opinion Big Grin

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a 375 with elegant lines #1 is a given. Checkering should be a classic point pattern with mullered borders.

#2 should be on a 257 Roberts or 280 Rem with fleur de lis pattern checkering.

The 375 and #1 will give off a quite elegance.

"The most subtle, the strongest and deepest art - supreme art - is the one that does not at first allow itself to be recognized".

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smallcal

When I was in high school I liked the homecoming queens, blonds, mini skirts, etc.

When I matured into a man I preferred the girl with the glasses you described.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Amen Schrodinger's Cat! You can have too much of a good thing. I did one about a year ago and thought it needed a light switch to turn it off. The damn thing would give you vertigo if you looked at it too long.

The blank, it resembles #1 to me.

The stock. Too busy, it distracts from the metal work.

I was able to tone the stock down some with stain. But it could have been bad.

Terry

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
If relating blanks to women I'd call #2 Pamela Anderson with lots of make up with the bolt ons covered by a wet tee shirt. She catches your eye right off the bat, may even make you drool a little bit. However, the longer you look at her the more you find her a bit tacky and over the top. However she's still an attention grabber and if you could, you know, you would. For me I want a natural beauty, one that ages well, the more you look at her the more you appreciate just what a looker she is. Jane Seymour fits that bill for me. Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a 375 I would go with No1.

I would use No2 on a 7x57 to a 30-06. [My personal choice would be a 308, but a 270 would be a classic].

I would have both stocked in the British Mauser stock pattern.

I handled a Westley Richards 7x57 and 2 Frankonia rifles a 270 and a 338 Win Mag today that were near perfect.

ALL American stock patterns are more like Boat Oars.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
# 1 for me hands down. I want a sense of flow from front to back and # 2 just takes your eyeball and drags it hither and yon.

I'm pretty certain Duane is rooting for # 1 as well.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, your gun demonstates the point and I have had a number of stocks very similar to that: "Midnight in Harlem" I call them. It is absolutely beautiful wood, but to my eyes it doesn't look like a hunting rig.

The truth of matter is that I think the stock design on that rifle is great: I particularly like the drop in the butt stock. I am sorry, I just don't like the straight back "classic" look. But that piece of wood, no matter how spectacular it is...absolutely overwhelms the overall beauty of that gun, which in my opinion is superb.

I am certainly not trying to say in anyway that my aesthetic viewpoint is any different that anyone elses, but I guess, I prefer better overall balance, i.e., if you have a two-piece, side by side engraving, then go for the fire in the wood, if on the otherhand you have a more utilitarian piece, which is frequently the case with bolt actions, then balance the wood to the metal.

Just my two cents and that and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cas, that is a beautiful barreled action. Those look like Smithson bases and rings. In any event you asked a question and posted a couple of replies that tried to give you just one man's opinion. In my humble opinion, it is no brainer, stock blank #1. Number 2 is spectacular, but like someone said, just too much of a good thing. It looks kind of slutty. Well, now I think in that way, maybe, I do like #2

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%. It was a learning experience for me and a real eye opener. Before that stock I always' thought more figure was better. Not so much anymore.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
A truly fine woman would clearly be wasted on you No. 1 fans. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
A truly fine woman would clearly be wasted on you No. 1 fans. Big Grin
beer