New
Find
Notify
Tools

Material for lathe turning bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I may be involved with breaking in a barrel of an odd caliber. It would be good if I could just turn up some simple bullets to use for break-in, save the few good, expensive bullets for load development. Anybody have any suggestions on a good material to use and availability? Thanks, Jay

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Alloy 360 Brass available from MSC (800)645-7270.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Incidently MSC is haveing a sale on 360 brass round stock in 6' lengths this month (Dec).

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What diameter are you looking for? I would be tempted to make a swage out of steel plate (or just ream out a lee swage) and squeeze some larger diameter bullets down. In most cases it would be simpler, faster, and cheaper to do.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Jay, Idaho

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slug the bore then use cast or swaged lead bullets. Although, I've seen oil impregnated bronze used in a .50 I think it was. Brass will leave a lovely coat of itself in the barrel.
And you really must tell us all more about this odd calibre. You tease you.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote