New
Find
Notify
Tools

The die is cast, the stage it is set
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have FINALLY decided on my next (2) projects. 1. a 6x45 (6mm/223). Was going to use a CZ527 action, but son informs me that this would be more hazardous to my health than smoking (it's become sort of 'HIS' 223!!!), besides I HATE the box magazine, so have decided to get a short action Sako (L461) or a Ruger 77 MkII (yes I know everybody hates them , but I have one in 270 and it's great!), and 2. a SMLE rebarreled to 35/303Brit - no idea why, but I grew up with SMLE's, and want something a bit different. The 6x45 I can kind of justify, but would I be better of just getting a Mauser 98 in 8x57? The latter will be a 'truck gun'. ie it won't be a showpiece, but will have open or apperture sights for quick handling. Any thoughts?

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ya might find the MRC short or mini action better for your 6 IMSHA/TC. Me myself and I wouldn't bother with that particular setup, UNLESS it was actually designed as a rook gun. And then "mine" would be 7.62x25 and a pretty good truck gun it self.

as for the enfield, How about a slightly different path... get a ishtapor in 308 and rebarrel to 358 win or 35 whelen and have the same wickedly smooth action, with a round that can be loaded to more modern specs.

just my thoughts on it.. yours will work perfectly well.

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I used a mauser mini to make my 6X45......a great tiny ten rifle....

They should be available soon thru Chas Daly.....lemme see if I have some photos.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso, I hadn't thought of that. It's funny, but after reading your post I recall seeing some SMLE's fro sale in 308 here in Oz, but had forgotten all about them. I'll check it out - after all, if it can handle 308, it should surely be able to handle 358? I know that the 8x57 Mauser is probably a more practicle set up, but I love the SMLE action! Soemthing tells me that the Mauser might win out, though - ammo availability. When we get amongst the pigs, believe me, we get amongst them!! Thanks for your ideas.

Vapodog, what a beautiful rifle! Thanks for the photo and your info - I will check the mini mauser out, but I wonder if the action will be long enough? May also be difficult to obtain here in Oz, because of our draconian gun laws. I'll see what I can do.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote