Find
Notify
Tools

Stock/receiver torque
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I have been told to tighten my action bolts to 55-65 inch-lbs of torque. Without buying a torque wrench is there a way to tell how much force that is ? What are your thoughts on tightening the action to the stock.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I was told to torque the bolts until the heads snapped off or the threads stripped, then back off half a turn... [Smile]

Seriously, I have been told that simple rules like how long a wrench to use will usually keep you from stripping a screw, but are not accurate to ensure repeatability.

I will be watching this thread with interest to see if somebody can suggest a way to avoid buying a torque wrench (which I am getting close to doing!).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Rob 1SG--

I've never owned a torque wrench or used one. I tighten action screws with the same care as I do sparkplugs in an aluminum head. Snug but not to the point of creaking, grunting, or sweat falling on the rifle. [Smile]

<John Lewis>
posted
Jack is exactly right. I own one, but don't ever use it. I bought it, tried it' found it to be a waste of time. Besides, if it's pillar bedded right, it couldn't possibly make any difference. [Big Grin]

<G.Malmborg>
posted
If perfect repetition and consistency breeds accuracy, then how would a weapon NOT benefit from the use of a device which is designed to repeat torque settings?

We all know how fast accuracy declines when guard screws begin to loosen. The same can be said of the action that doesn't sit in the stock exactly the same time after time. That is why actions are bedded to begin with, to provide consistency.

Having the ability to consistently pull the action into it's bedding, with the same amount of force time after time, and then being able to maintain this setting, goes to the overall objective we all seek, that of accuracy.

If a person feels that a torque wrench will provide them this degree of precision, then they should use one.

Regards,

Malm

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
9 times out of 10, I've found that if your actions screws are coming loose after tightening them in the fashion that Jack so eliquently described, your bedding job is probably the result. They're great for flywheels and mainbearings, but not necessary on your rifle. Not that you couldn't use one with success, but don't loose any sleep if you can't get your hands on one for the job.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote