New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Mark V trigger adjustment??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can the Mark V triggers be adjusted? Mine is almost 5# with a tad bit of creep. I see a small set screw on the trigger when I look thru the trigger guard. Haven't touched it yet, figured I'd ask first.

Thanks

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Al, Frank de Hass that wrote "bolt action rifles" has an article that says that the Mark V has only two trigger adjustments. Weight of pull and trigger take up. The pull weight adjustment screw is located in the front of the trigger housing , turned clockwise weight is incresed and vice versa. The rear screw turned clockwise decreases sear engagements.
Of course Mr DE hass warns that triggers are set at the factory and should not be tampered with.
Short round

Posts: 57 | Location: san antonio texas | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I can only find 1 screw, in fron of the trigger. I turned it in and it got heavier, out got it down to 3 1/2#, as low as it would go. Guess I'll just leave it there for the time being.

Thanks again.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al,

There is a screw down inside the rear of the receiver that adjusts sear engagement. Scew it in too far and the rifle will not cock and screw it out too far and you will have lots of creep.

If you want a much lighter pull then the trigger return spring needs to be replaced with something much lighter. The trigger assembly is held on with a big screw just near the sear engagement screw. This can be extremely tight and you would probably be better off getting a gunsmith to remove it.

With a lighter spring and careful adhustment of teh sear engagement screw, Wbys will frequently givea pull as light as 1 pound and with reliability.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AL,
I cut down an Allen key so I could adjust the sear engagement screw without removing the scope.
Remember a little bit of adjustment to the sear makes a big difference.
Mike is right about the pull weight needing a spring change.The USA Weatherby's I have had only go down to aroung 3.5 lbs with the factory spring,but the sear engagement can be adjusted to be very good.The Japenese Weatherby's I have had could be adjusted a lot lighter..
All the best.

Charlie

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll look for the sear screw tonite. It's 3 1/2# now with just a hint of creep that I can live with.

Thanks again.