New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 670 rework
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was given a Winchester Model 670 in 30-06. The rifle had been greased and set in a corner for at least 20 years. I don't know when it was made but it has the anti bind groove and the 2 position safety. The stock is yellow. Anyway I took it apart to find what must be the heaviest commercial action known to man, what a casting! After thorough cleanup the trigger actually adjusted to a crisp letoff, the safety was able to move back and forth and it appears the rifle was fired very little. The stock is walnut and very hard but the high comb on it and it's short length of pull must have made it a brutal kicker. Anyway I have just about come to the conclusion that putting a recoil pad on it, shortening the barrel to 19 inches, free floating it and lowering the comb is all I want to do to it. I thought about putting a 270 barrel on it but why waste the money. Anyone out there see any reason to do any further work on the old heavy warhorse?

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It's a push feed Winchester Model 70. Albeit the economy version. Fortunately it is not in any danger of becoming a collector piece, so do whatever you would like to it. With a little tweaking it should be a fine hunting piece. 19 inches huh?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I did Dad's 670. It's a 30/06 carbine (18" bbl). I added Williams bottom metal (it was a blind box) and replaced the birch stock with a ramline M70 LA (I had to inlet the trigger safety).

btw if you shoot it prone watch out for burnt grass :-)

Rich

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I did all the above except shorten the barrel. I also did some work on the pistol grip area to get a better grip on the rifle. I found a 4 inch long crack in the forearm front to back, going to open it and put some polyurethane in it to glue it back together. I may take it to the gun range today. I bought some Federal blue box in both 150 and 180 grain weights for the test drive.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cleaned the barrel thoroughly before i went to the range. The first few shots using the Federal High Shok 150's were off the paper high and right. Put the guessed at number of clicks into the old Weaver and the next two hit 2 inches high and 2 inches to the right. More clicks and it is dead centered two inches high. Put a new target up and fired three for a group that is easily 1 1/4 inches. Put two more in and the group still at 1 1/4 inches. Now I am intrigued enough to wonder what it might do with some 165 grain ballistic Tips on top of 57.5 grains of AA4350? By the way the trigger is excellent, couldn't really ask for more in a hunting rifle.