New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN style safties?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking for one. There are some listed on AA, but I know that they are not the originals. Has anyone seen/used one? thanks, capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have a an original FN action has a left side two position "wing" safety...it flips up and down...in th up psoition it is parallel to the rear scope bell

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
The Original Big Red had four for sale a month ago. I bought two that are at my gunsmith's now for 1) retrofitting onto my beloved .375 Whitworth "Lily Martel" and 2) my in-progress "light" 6.5x55. I'm not sure who bought the other two but if they aren't currently being installed into something, you could at least get pix and dimensions.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here's an FN on the left and the GPC part on the right. The GPC part is very soft & cheaply made.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to interest Mr. Wisner in turning out a batch of FN safties... Never got a reply- I hope he is too busy in the shop...

The GPC safety sucks. I think they were a buck a piece last year or so... Maybe you could cut that tail off, repolish FN style, and reharden???

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That tail is what holds it in place. rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered what that simi circular cut on top was for?

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cut at the top is to hold the safety in position when you turn it right over to hold the striker back for bolt assembly. This in lieu of sticking a coin ahead of the cocking piece which probably works better! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I still have one more of the original ones that looks like the starting point of the cam was filed a very little bit to modify for a different cocking piece maybe. Still looks great and should still work great. I was thinking of using on my FN to replace the Buehler but don't "need" it, would let go for 20 shipped. e-mail or pm me if interested.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
i can't count the number of pennies lying around on the workbench for that very purpose!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That tail is what keeps the safety from sliding out when in the "off safe" position. When it is in the "on safe" position, it is wedged behind the cocking piece so it can't come out. With the real FN safety, the bottom portion slips into a notch in the bolt shroud when in the "off safe" position keeping it from sliding out the same as the Dayton Traister on the right side. Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd stay away from the right side mounted safeties. They allow the bolt handle too much up and down movement with the safety on.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote