New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting a nose heavy rifle to balance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Increasing tinnitus may force me to use a moderator. Length can be kept down by using an over the barrel type but I'm still going to have 6" of 1.25" stainless with baffles out front.

I really really hate clumsy handling rifles. My thought was that if I got a very light and short barreled rifle to start (eg a sako finnlight or remington titanium) used light mounts and scope and fitted the moderator then I could add weight in the rear of the stock to get a normal balance just forward of the (front) action screw.

This would have weight at both ends - is this going to feel weird/dumbell like.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It might feel wierd at first - anything new generally does. But it might also hang very well. A good offhand rifle is always muzzle heavy.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a .54 CVA w/plastic hollow stock that was muzzle heavy.

It kicked me in the face and recoil was rough with 100gr FFg. Shouldn't have been and I sure don't like getting kicked in the face at all.

Couldn't put a pad on as there's no surface on the butt. Jammed a pound lead ingot just under the buttplate. That not only balanced it, it tamed it too.

Now an even 8#, balanced well and recoil is decent, don't kick me in the face either. This was the first time I've done that. Since then I've advised several and they'd reported the same 'cure' for their's.

You might give it a try and see.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote