New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics Wanted: Mann.-Scho. Customs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If anyone has photos they can post of their fancied-up Mannlicher-Schoenauer Rifles, lets see them.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

Most of the custom rifles I see are ugly! Sorry, but they are. The top ones are classic customs, but below is my 1952 Model in 30'06 and a 6X lyman All American. It is the smoothest action you will ever find, hands down.....trust me. The accuracy is unbelieveable.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My god that top panel looks like a pregnant whale............YUK

The rifles in the bottom two panels are much better.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schromf:
My god that top panel looks like a pregnant whale............YUK

Maybe it was built for a guy with really high cheek bones. I have a plane and rasp that would take care of that in a hurry.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Top rifle was custom made for shooting from a blind in Europe. This is the original type of hogback stock.

7 x 64mm Brenneke caliber - $1,800.00

Want it?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
As with most of the other ones I have posted, this is not a custom gunsmith job, but rather a factory custom. This is a premier grade 1956 MS.

It is not necessarily my taste, but wow a lot of work went into it by the Steyr gunsmiths.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER Custom Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1956, by the famous German custom gunmaking house of Kurt Jaeger in Mainz in 1957. This museum quality rifle is chambered in .257 Roberts caliber with double set triggers. This magnificent Mannlicher is stocked in fully figured French walnut hand rubbed to perfection. The stock is profusely carved throughout with climbing and twisting oak leaf and vine motif complemented by a lightly stippled background. The carving is in deep relief with a stylized scrolling pattern. The butt has a hand checkered horn plate and the pistol grip cap is polished ebony. The muzzle is capped with a custom crafted steel cap that has been transformed into a fully chisel engraved art form with oak leaf clusters and scroll. The floorplate is bordered in hand drawn Sterling silver wire surrounding a vignette of a running whitetail deer inlaid in silver with full shadow texture. The other areas of the floorplate are profusely chiseled in oak leak and vine work surrounding the Steyr logo. The action body is fully engraved with the deep chisel relief scrollwork and is signed Kurt Jaeger on the action top and the bolt is polished and engine turned. The barrel top is inlaid in flat Sterling silver wirework with a shield outlined by the silver and relief engraved around it. At the muzzle end is yet another silver inlay of intertwining silver wire just rearward of the sight ramp. The bolt handle, triggerguard, and claw mounts are also profusely engraved to match the rifle. The execution is perhaps the finest we have seen and is one of the most outstanding examples of Jaeger’s capabilities. The gun has a claw mounted Pecar 3-7 Variable scope and it is crystal clear. The overall condition of this gun is minty and needs only to seen to appreciate its condition. Seldom do rifles with this level of embellishment come to market as in today’s world the cost to produce such a piece is often prohibitive. The engraving alone on this gun to duplicate would cost in excess of fifteen thousand dollars. This is an important MANNLICHER and is for the serious collector or hunter. This rifle comes complete with the original bill of sale and original shop work order signed by Kurt Jaeger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow thats alot of engraving.

Most wear stocks with pencil thin forends.

Have you seen many without spoon bolt handles?

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Never seen one without a spoon handle, kind of a M-S trade mark. I think in the case of M-S's less is better, I mean the darn things are like factory customs anyway. Hand fitted, double case hardened, the smoothest action I've ever seen. The stock on mine has a better fit than many customs.

Here's my 1952 model. I know you asked for customs, but I'm like a grandparent with pictures when it comes to this baby rotflmo

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, Here is a pretty neat thread about M-S's with a few very knowledgeable replies. A fun read if you like M-S's

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/80610084/r/73610084#73610084

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Very nice. Glad you posted the photos. I'd take it's twin over any two of the highly engraved ones, eventhough I like them too!
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austrian/German stock carving and game scene engraving has spoiled a lot of good rifle.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
they might be a bit tacky but someday Id like to build and own a "carved up mauser" The last one is nice.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
Wow thats alot of engraving.

Most wear stocks with pencil thin forends.

Have you seen many without spoon bolt handles?

-Spencer

Spencer, FYI, the only Mannlicher-Schoenauers with round ball bolt handles are the M1900, and the M1903 Military models, mostly Greeks to the tune of something over 250,000 units. All commercial models have the butterknife/spoon bolt handle, although I would not put it past an English custom house to put on ANY style bolt handle desired on a pre WWII vintage Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Such was the style then when you could order anything.

LLS
Mannlicher Collector

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the occasional Brit M/S with a round bolt knob, vaguely recall an Evans, there were others. I suppose it is possible these were built on military actions.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brits also did a lot of custom rifles based on the 1892/1895 Steyr-Mannlicher actions with the round bolt knob. Not the same thing as a M/S, but could be confused with them.

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, those round bolt knobs are usually a dead giveaway for a "non-commercial" Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Saw a case of one about a year ago advertised for sale on the web as a M1903. The seller had taken some excellent photos that obscured the bolt handle and picked up on the fine work done by the sporterizing shop. It looked nice, but it was still just a sporterized Greek military model, and the seller was seeking the price of a proper commercial M1903. I know he got into trouble on at least one attempted sale, caveat emptor, etc... Like the man said on the Ebay Stocks thread, don't buy it unless you can see and feel it!

LLS
Mannlicher Collector

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Here in good company of a few Lee Speeds is a Jeffery-marked 6,5x54 - round knob, don´t you know..

Stensby, Manchester UK, might still have it for sale..

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote