New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of a nicely shaped Mauser triggerguard
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone out there have some photos they can post of the triggerguard for a Mauser? Specifically, I'm looking for bottom metal that is hinged, such as 1909. The shape of these triggerguards which have the release inside the bow leaves me questioning how to reshape them. Especially the outside front of the bow where the release is.

I have 3 guns that I'm working on (all with hinged bottom metal) and the triggerguard on each needs to be recontoured and thinned. I'm looking for all the angles you can think of. This will give me some ideas as to how to contour and thin the outside surfaces of the triggerguard.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Here are some of a Blackburn.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no pro, but this is how I do mine 1909's.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don. That's exactly the type of close photo I was looking for. I have a good closeup of a triggerbow for bottom metal with the lever on the floorplate and the shape of the bow is very different.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

That's a great start but to be a bit more graceful it would help if you added a wee bit of taper to the bow. Taper to blend in with the cuts you made on the sides. Otherwise it looks abit skinney at the rear.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a few 09 pics. I use a ball mill like Don M. does to scallop the bow. Works pretty good.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1851 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks. Gives me something to aspire to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

I like your contour very much. Is it possible for you to put a set of calipers on the narrowest part of the rear and give us that measurement.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Gunmaker

I like your contour very much. Is it possible for you to put a set of calipers on the narrowest part of the rear and give us that measurement.

I don't have these two in the shop. I'm guessing around 7/16" I use a 3/4" ball tilted around 8 degrees for the back and 2 degrees for the front. The final cut both front & back just touches the middle part of the bow. That's how I get my final depth/width. Then I file the taper front to back.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1851 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the TG in the first three pics it measures:

at the rear .425

middle .605

front .575

Thanks again Jim, I like it better than Blackburns model.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker

Thanks.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote