Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar Bedding question
 Login/Join

posted
I'm at the point in pillar bedding my Savage 10ML that I need to drill out the pillars with the "N" size drill, there by eliminating contact of the screws with the columns. My 1st question is: Is heat a problem while drilling? Won't heat soften or loosen the bedding material? I used Marine Tex. Next question: Drill press or hand drill? Would the drill follow the original hole better with a hand drill? Last Question: How long should I let the Marine Tex cure before drilling the columns? I know these questions may sound pretty silly or petty but I have basic wood shop equipment not precision gunsmithing stuff.

308XP

Posts: 32 | Location: GA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use a drill press so the holes are drilled straight...but I can't imagine how drilling out these holes in the pillars could generate enough heat to do any damage to anything.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not too familiar with Marine-Tex, although with Acraglas, it is not a problem.
You should have used Acraglas.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
308XP

Set your stock up in a drill press vise padded with leather covered wood blocks. Select a drill bit that is a slip fit in the existing pillars, with the stock loose in the vise, tighten the drill press chuck on the drill bit, this will give you accurate enough alignment, then carefully tighten up on the drill press vise. Run the quill up and down to verify alignment. Block up under the overhanging parts of the stock so nothing moves when you are drilling.

Now select the next larger size drill bit and carefully enlarge the pillar hole. Preferably 1/32" at a time, progressively move up to larger bits untill you reach the desired diameter hole. This is a little extra trouble but it insures the hole will stay centered and keep the heat down as well. It will also help prevent the drill bit from grabbing and jerking the stock out of alignment which could be disaterous.

Take your time and you will not heat the bedding enough to harm it. I would let the bedding cure approximately 48 hours before drilling. Marine Tex is an excellent bedding compound used by a lot of professionals.

Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of pillars are you guys using where a drill bit is going to get so damned hot enlarging the hole that you are worried about it damaging something?

Rick

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys....I'll finish up this afternoon.

Rick..They're just aluminum but I had a bad experience once with a different project that used epoxy and as things got hot the epoxy got soft and came apart. All my experiences in life haven't been good ones, and those I try to avoid a second time. I'm just kind of measuring twice before I cut once..If you get my drift.

Thanks again,
308XP

Posts: 32 | Location: GA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand... I just didn't want you thinking that you had to go through some elaborate step by step process to prevent heat damage to the bedding material when you enlarge the pillar holes. Take your time making sure everything is squared up and in alignment and then just punch those puppies out with your 'N' size bit. There is no reason to "gradually" work your way up using progressively larger bits.

Just as a side note for your future reference...the epoxies that use powdered steel can be machined, drilled, tapped, etc. after they cure so there is not much chance of hurting them with the heat built up from a drill bit slicing off a couple of thousandths of a inch from an existing hole in your pillars. Of all the things to worry about when bedding a rifle that fear would be WAY down on the list.

I repaired a broken handle on a cast iron skillet lid years ago with Devcon plastic steel and it ain't fallen off yet.

Rick