New
Find
Notify
Tools

300mag in a Zastava mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is done to these to fit a 300 mag in there?

Are they standard length actions?

I Think this is a interarms, Ad just says Zastava yugoslavia

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Looks like a late MKX or maybe a Daly. Simply a commercial 98 based action with a magnum bolt face.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do ya gotta seat your bullets way in the case to fit with a 300 win mag case?

Ive always been thinkin a 30-338 or a 300 norma was more practicle and efficient for a standard mauser, but never realy researched it

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Std OAL is 3.34" designed to fit in an 06 magazine. While the bullet is deep in the case you still have a small gain in net capacity. I see a slight gain over my 308Norma with heavier bullets. In the 50fps range. A 300wmag would be cheaper than the 308Norma or 30-338 for cases and dies. I built my 308N to go along with my 358Norma.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Looks like a late MKX or maybe a Daly. Simply a commercial 98 based action with a magnum bolt face.

It seemed appropriate to ask this here, as not to hijack this thread!

I too, have (2) Rem 798 Zastava M98 rifles...One in 30-06 and the other 7RM...

A bubbaSMITH told me my bolts are interchangeable on these two rifles, is this true???

Is the boltface cut in such away that it'll accept a variety of different sized case heads?

I'm confused because he saying same M98 bolt will fit in either with no problems...

Could someone please explain...Is BubbaSMITH correct???Eeker

Thanks!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
quote:

A bubbaSMITH told me my bolts are interchangeable on these two rifles, is this true???

Is the boltface cut in such away that it'll accept a variety of different sized case heads?

I'm confused because he saying same M98 bolt will fit in either with no problems...

Thanks!

While the bolts will physicaly interchange, the Bolt Face & Headspace are not the same. dancing

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The bolts may indeed interchange between actions, meaning they will close and function, but that is a long ways from being a "no problem" deal. Headspace still has to be correct and the bolt face must match the intended round. Magnum bolt face for magnum size case heads, and, standard bolt face for standard '06 size case heads. Anything in between, or, smaller would require a custom bolt.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by Late-Bloomer:
quote:

Thanks!

While the bolts will physicaly interchange, the Bolt Face & Headspace are not the same. dancing

Okay...Thanks!

This BuubbaSmith actually threw both bolts down in front of me on a table and took each bolt and mixed them up and said see asw he stuffed it in a chamber!!!

Now one more question if I understand you correctly!!!

I just want to be sure I have the correct bolt in each rifle now!!!

There's NO way my 30-06 bolt face would chamber a 7RM round and vice-versa??????

Correct???

And thank you for the help!!!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's NO way my 30-06 bolt face would chamber a 7RM round and vice-versa

The bolts are EXACTLY the same EXCEPT for the bolt face and extractor. You should be able to simply look at the bolt face and see the larger face of the magnum. A 7mag case shouldn't fit in an 06 bolt face. An 06 case will be too small for the magnum face.

While 2 06 bolts will look exactly the same you can not swap them between rifles without checking headspace. Same for two 7mags.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentleman...

NOW..it makes sense to me...And its what I thought from the beginning!!!!

Thanks...I'm sure happy Bubba ain't around these neck of the woods anymore! sofa