Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Scope Ring Removal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greets fm CO
I have an older scope that I wish to mount on my new Knight Revolution. The problem is getting the Ruger rings off the scope. It's a self inflicted problem as I used Red Loctite to orig put the rings on the scope. The Rings are removed off of an old rifle, just need to get rings off of the scope.
1. I'm trying something that has worked in the past, letting WD 40 "eat" the Loctite. The screws absolutely will not budge after trying this overnight.

2. Could I cut thru the side of the "mount/rings" until I cut thru the screws.

3. I am sort of afraid to try drilling out the 8 screws as I'm afraid the vibration would ruin the scope. Any Ideas??? Thanks Ray

Posts: 106 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a search on google and found an impressive number of chemicals that did not work. It also happened to be on a gun that had red loctite used for assembly.

Here is what loctite's web site has to say.

Q: How can I remove a fastener that is "permanently" locked in?

A: The application of heat is needed to remove a fastener that can't be removed with a hand tool. Temperatures of 325F and above is needed to break down a standard anaerobic, 500F for high temperature Anaerobics. A heat gun or propane torch is commonly used to do this process, and careful disassembly should occur while parts are still hot. Once apart, and cooled, use methylene chloride (Chisel #79040) to remove cured excess material. Always wipe down the fasteners with clean up solvent to remove the wax film that Chisel leaves on the surface.

Good luck

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with the same rings, only no loctite- stripped the screwheads.

I drilled them out with a bit a little larger than the allen (maybe it was a torx) opening in the screwheads- the heads just seperated after that, and I removed the rest of the screw with a small pair of vise grips.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get someone with a milling machine to drill the screw heads until they pop off like tin can suggested.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did mine with a cordless drill, and sweat lead the whole time.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heat a properly fitted screw drive tip to red hot and then put the screw driver in the screw holding the rings together. Let the heat soak in then rap it with a hammer and it will twist right out.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will ruin the screwdriver and just twist it. Use a brass or copper rod the size of the head, heat it cherry red and hold it on the screw head while you apply more heat to the rod above the screw and scope. Using a larger rod with just the portion touching the screw head turned down is better. If that doesn't do it, drill the heads off.
You should never loc-tite ring screws.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote