Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 action size
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I ran across a Model 70 classic chambered in 300 Weatherby. Is this action long enough for a 300 H&H?

I have been confused for a long time as to which actions need opened up and which ones don't.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I've seen more than one pre 64 Model 70 that was originally a 300 H&H that had the original chamber opened up with a 300 Weatherby reamer. Regretfully the modest increase in velocity was eclipsed by the reduction in value.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElCaballero:
I ran across a Model 70 classic chambered in 300 Weatherby. Is this action long enough for a 300 H&H?

I have been confused for a long time as to which actions need opened up and which ones don't.

The 300 Weatherby was originally a 300 H&H improved, with a double radius shoulder.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I am talking rebarreling. Just using the action as a donor.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you need to do is rebarrel that rifle as the Classic crf M70 is indeed long enough for the .300 H&H. In fact the new classic actions for the standard & magnum cartridges are slightly longer than the pre-64 actions. The difference between the two (classics) is the size of the loading port and magazine well dimensions. With the long magnum cartridges (7 STW, .300 Wby., .416 Rem. ...) being an opened up standard action. All other dimensions are the same that I'm aware of.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell us:

What is the original bottom port length for the stdM70-30/06classic?
How much does winchester remove from that bottom port to accept the STW,Weath,H*H? Ie; what is the new measure, and where do they remove it from?...Technically we could remove the same amount from the SaM70 to fit a longer round, yes?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If by "bottom port" you mean the magazine well opening , it is the same on long magnum or 06 length action . The 06 length simply has a sheet metal spacer at the rear of the magazine to shorten it up . The rear bridge on the long action is machined back to provide more room for loading and ejecting live rounds .

I personally would leave a 300 Weatherby classic as is , they are pretty hard to come by , and I'd think the collector value is gonna appreciate faster than some more commom calibers.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote