THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you degrease scope mounts prior to mounting?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my Talleys and like all rings mounts, they are greased up to protect rust. Should i wipe them off or spray them down with cleaner/degreaser?

Posts: 315 | Location: SOUTHEAST USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Degrease them, with acetone, GunScrubber, or another degreaser.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Regular old isopropyl alcohol will do the trick as well as anything--and it's cheap as dirt, too.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely degrease the rings. I use acetone on one of those cotton buds you get at chemists. This gives the ring a good grip on the scope tube.

If you have the Talleys QD make sure that you back out the lever or screw into dovetail piece totally out. Then really tighten the 2 bottom screws on the base before putting this screw back in. Otherwise you could strip a thread & won't be able to tighten the dovetail. Found out the hard way!! Do the top screws last after you have set eye relief & squared crosshairs.

Talleys are supposed to have updated their fitting instructions to make this clear but my purchases late last year thru Brownells did not have those instructions. If you don't have the latest instructions contact Talley & they will fax it to you.

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the Talley's, but I would say, not only de-grease, but lap them in, as well.... that procedure by itself will greatly increase the holding power, and decrease the potential for marring or bending the scope body.... in my opinion.

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I just got my Talleys and like all rings mounts, they are greased up to protect rust. Should i wipe them off or spray them down with cleaner/degreaser?

I degrease bases, rings, all screws, and screw holes before installing a mount.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Let me second each of the prior responses, and specifically add that just wiping the rings down is not enough.

I mounted a scope a few months ago, and although I had wiped the inside of the rings until they were dry to the touch I did not degrease them. When I went to sight in the rifle (a mild recoiling 6.5x55) my shots kept moving around. I couldn't figure out why until I realized that the scope had slid forward until the turret was almost touching the front ring. Luckily my wife had left a bottle of fingernail polish remover in the car, and after a quick wipe-down the scope didn't move any more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Luckily my wife had left a bottle of fingernail polish remover in the car

It's always the "wife's" fingernail polish remover, isnt' it?

And that hot pink fingernail polish is for the adjustment screws on the remington trigger?

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...just for those "special" weekends......

Posts: 323 | Location: N.Central Texas | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...or he could be like the old boy that was changing clothes at the gym, and when he dropped his trousers, his buddy asked him.. "when did you start wearing women's bikini underwear?"... and he replies... "ever since my wife found a pair of them under the front seat of my car"....