New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifles by Emil Nordheim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am try to research a rifle I just bought on auction built by one Emil Nordheim, Zeller Mehlis, Germany.

Description:

Metal work:

Commerical Oberndorf Action, standard length action, BUG proofs, Serial number #93,xxx range (1924-25 production), action drilled for both side mounts (G&H?) and top mounts??? caliber .375 H&H, lever type floorplate, English style engraving on the floorplate, trigger guard and breech, drop magazine, barrel 25 1/4", front ramp, single adjustable folding leaf rear, barrel mounted front sling swivel.

Stock:

French Walnut?, caramel color, Horn forend tip and grip cap, looks like 24 LPI checkering. Nary a cross bolt??? No cracks, wonder how they kept it together? Have to look inside the stock when I get it.

All in all very well done. The only baroque touches are a gold plated trigger, floorplate lever, and action screws!! The only thing missing are the naked wood nimphs.

I have pictures, but do not know how to post them here.

Anybody hear of this builder? Was told he built some drillings and singles as well.

I know I know, should have asked before buying, but original Commercial Oberndorf's in 375 H&H are as rare as Republicans in the Sierra Club.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

[ 08-20-2002, 08:37: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
<martin f>
posted
Shadow,

Emil Nordheim was a well known gunmaker. Zella-Mehlis is next to Suhl, the German gunmakers town.
You might get some more information at the "gunmaker forum", at www.gunmaker.org

Regards,
Martin F

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Shadow email me your pictures & I will post them for you.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw,

You have mail.

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

After two hours of trying to get this picture to post, I finally got it. Pictures of the Nordheim Mauser 375 H&H.

Bob

[ 08-20-2002, 20:43: Message edited by: Shadow ]

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

perhaps a silly question. Is the action a large action type A from mauser obendorf or is it a regular b action? The pics are a bit small to see many of the nice details. The stock is fine.

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] Way to go!

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

Large action. Type "A" Oberdorf has to do with stock style and embelishment, not receiver size or type, or at least that is my understanding.
The stock and engraving was all done by Nordheim.
I do not know if they bought just an action or if it is a take off. In any event the serial number 93xxx is from the 1924-25 period.

I have not received it yet, pictures are from the seller/owner.

More details will be posted when I get the rifle.

You can also save the picture, by right clicking on it. Then using software you can enlarge it.

Thanks,

Bob

[ 08-21-2002, 01:52: Message edited by: Shadow ]

<JOHAN>
posted
Shadow

The A reciver from mauser is the large magnum reciver made for 375-500 Jeffery size cartridges.

Mauser reciver has been made in Kurtz, Medium, Standard and Magnum, as far as I know. Mausers have been made in a variety of types with or without square bridge and with different configurations for different markets.

Rigby built most of their guns on in 275 rigby on the medium size action according to what I heard.

/ JOHAN

[ 08-21-2002, 03:53: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

<martin f>
posted
Shadow,

this nice rifle is not exactly done in the typical germanic style that I would have expected for a pre-WW II work. Some details like the floor plate release are German, but rubber pad, scope and stock lines hint to later rework.
Are there any engravings from Nordheim on the action?
I might guess that the action is coming from a prewar rifle, and was restocked, and maybe also rebarreled later. Are there any German proof marks on the action and barrel?

Regards,
Martin F

[ 08-21-2002, 13:19: Message edited by: martin f ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

Completed Oberdorf sporters were made in:

Type "A" (known at the factory as Type "E" for English) in at least 8 variations

Type B (Buchesen) 16 variations

Type C very basic 1 model

Type K 8 variations

Special African Model variations unknown, but had long 27" barrels and 3/4 length stocks.

Type M & S full stocked carbines 5 variations each.

And yes you are right 4 action sizes;

Magnum= round top, single square bridge, double square bridge

Normal, Intermediate, and Kurz.

Martin F.

Yes I think it was reworked some time well after 1924-25. Don't know about barrel proofs yet, as the rifle is not yet in my possession, but is on it's way.

And yes the action is modestly engraved on the receiver rings.

Thanks,

Bob