New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mini-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a customer bring in a Mini-30 that had the barrel damaged with shooting corrosive ammo in and not cleaned. He wanted a new barrel but due to its age Ruger will not re-barrel it just give a small discount on a new one. Has anyone heard of after market barrels being available? none of the barrel makers list a barrel. I have not heard of any so thought I might ask.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you mean one already contoured, threaded, and chambered, no, and there will never be one. You have to make. custom barrel for it. Or find one on eBay, on which I have seen them.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to successfully line (reline) a Mini-30 barrel

?

Posts: 741 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
NO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
NO.

Reason being ?

Posts: 741 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The factory used a 308 dia. bore.

is there enough left to have it re-bored to .311

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy Systems has all types of Mini barrels and accessories. I used them to install a strut on one of my older Mini-14’s.
https://www.ruger-mini-14-fire...uger_mini_prices.php

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 961 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can't rebore a 308 to a 311; the bore (.300-301) is almost the same diameter, and once it is gone, it can't be restored; It could be rebored to an 8mm. And reboring guys like to start with a fresh reamed bore, not try to follow an old one, although it has been done.
As for relining, the barrel on a Mini 30 is too thin to allow relining for such relatively high pressures as the 7.62x39, about 50K psi. And it would cost more than just making a new bsrrel anyway. Mini 30 barrels are not a complex shape so you gain nothing there.
The place that Grinch gave above has about 20 different chambering for a Mini 14/30.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just found Accuracy Systems and sent the customer to them for repair. They quoted $300 for a barrel replacement.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote