THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Trigger, Reinstall Over-travel Screw?
 Login/Join

posted
Guys,

I'm doing my first Rem 700 trigger adjustment job following instructions by Pabilto that I found on the web. It looks like it was a mistake to completely remove the "trigger stop screw". A spring came down into the screw hole preventing me from reinstalling the over-travel screw. Help, please!

Roger Barker

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the sear reset spring. If you remove the rear crosspin and let the sear pivot up and out of the way, you can pull the spring out (maybe using a dental pick). After re-installing the overtravel screw you can put the spring back, then put the sear back into position.
Go slow, careful, and understand the function of all of the parts so that you can do a good job.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to remove the trigger from the action, you will then be able to reassemble everything. My recomendation would be to take the rifle to somone who knows what they are doing and have the trigger reassembled and adjusted properly.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jay & Duanein,

Jay, the rear trigger housing pin holds the bolt release mechanism in place so I know I must deal with that. Also, the pin looks like it is staked in place. Do I need to do anything other than drive the pin out to remove it?

Thanks,

Roger Barker

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pin is staked in, but it will drive out quite easily, pay attention to the bolt stop spring so you don,t lose it and you know how the reassembly will go.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks Jay & Duanein,

Jay, the rear trigger housing pin holds the bolt release mechanism in place so I know I must deal with that. Also, the pin looks like it is staked in place. Do I need to do anything other than drive the pin out to remove it?

Thanks,

Roger Barker

My mistake. I assumed that the trigger was removed from the action. A pair of 1/8" pin punches and a couple of "slave pins" are very handy when removing and installing triggers. I make the "slave pins" from 1/8" brazing rod, cut to about .015 shorter than the thickness of a Remington trigger. There is a staking mark on one end of the cross-hole in the receivers. Drive out the pins from that end. Start with the rear pin (make sure the safety is ON). After the pin is removed you can push the slave pin in as you allow the first punch to be pushed out. Or just catch all of the parts as the punch is removed.
Tinkering with Rem triggers is quite a learning experience, so many little things that you learn that make it easier. Experience is the best teacher, you just have to take the test as you get the lesson.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Duane & Jay,

Thanks again guys. I'll be ready to go at it this weekend.

All the best to you,

Roger Barker

posted Hide Post
Roger, its like Jay basically said:

Experiance is a hard teacher because she give the test first and the lessons afterwords...

I feel it also worth mentioning that fools sometimes rush in, where angles fear to tread!

<<"Tinkering with Rem triggers is quite a learning experience, so many little things that you learn that make it easier. Experience is the best teacher, you just have to take the test as you get the lesson.">>

Good Luck, Augustis ><>

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=604053&page=70&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1&vc=1

Posts: 18 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Save yourself a potential liability and purchase a replacement trigger. Jewell or Timmey triggers and many other brands available that will give you a safe trigger without worrying about the gun going off and possibly killing someone. Remington triggers can be adjusted but I would not recommend it be done by anyone but a qualified Gunsmith IMHO.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Roger -

Check your personal messages.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote